first time incubating eggs, first pip @ day 18!

serprise

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 21, 2013
I made an incubator with a thermostat from a hot water heater I had to replace and I just got my first pip today. I opened it to get it setup with another container for water to raise the humidity for the lock down. While doing so I got my finger stuck in the fan and it startled me and I jerked which caused the eggs to all roll around & bang together. I was bummed when I realized I broke one but upon further examination there's a little beak sticking out of it(I didn't break it!).
These are some black copper marans eggs that I purchased from ebay. On day 14 I threw out 3 of the dozen, I opened to see where they stopped developing & I'd guess all 3 around day 8-9. As far as I could tell, the other 9 were all developing (I haven't candled since). I'm no expert but very little light shined through so I'm just trying to guess based on what I can see. The eggs aren't as dark as a lot of black copper marans eggs I've seen online but they're still too dark to really see what's going on inside for a beginner like me. I can't seem to get the humidity above 60%, is that going to be ok?
I wasn't expecting anything before this weekend, so I'm a little shocked it's already started. I'm in Oregon & these eggs came from Indiana. I read the first 24 hours in the incubator don't really count, that's obviously not true according to my hatch time. I put these in on the night of the 4th & first pip this afternoon on the 22nd. I'll be sure to post a pic of the little one when it finishes getting out.

Last edited:
hmm, I just realized the pip is on the wrong end(isn't it?). Should I be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom