First time incubating my own fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenHuntr, Sep 13, 2019.

1. ChickenHuntr

ChickenHuntr Hatching

Sep 13, 2019
    Have a few questions looking for help!! I have 4 eggs in incubator right now with about 9days left until hatch day! So with that being said....
    Can I add more fertile eggs to the already started eggs or do I wait until they hatch out before starting a new batch? Will the high humidity effect the new eggs with being on day 1?
    Thank you for advice!!

2. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Some do scattered hatches. Some prefer not to. It it up to you. I think the scattered hatches they us a separate incubator for lockdown nut I am not real sure. I haven’t done a scattered hatch before

3. ChickenHuntr

ChickenHuntr Hatching

Sep 13, 2019

Thank you for advice and that’s the only issue I have right now. I only have one incubator

4. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    You can do it with one but IMO it would be easier to wait. Unless you need the chicks sooner for some reason.

5. cmfarm

cmfarm Crowing

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    When I first started incubating I had a styrofoam incubator. I would do staggered hatches all the time and have chicks hatch once a week all in the same incubator with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: