First time incubating questions

FlowerDragon

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2022
It's day 20 of incubation, but will switch over to day 21 in 2-2.5 hours. There are no pips yet from any of the 23 eggs that had been developing. Should I be worried or just give it more time. Humidity is at 65%, is that too high or too low? I don't see any vents to open and there's a lot of condensation on the lid.

Our manual calls for 50-55% for the first 18 days, then 60-65% I've even seen people say as high as 80% for the last three days. It just seems very damp in there.
oh ok ... hope all turns out ok..should have a vent but maybe someone else will have a suggestion about the concern here...good luck & please update

It's day 20 of incubation, but will switch over to day 21 in 2-2.5 hours. There are no pips yet from any of the 23 eggs that had been developing. Should I be worried or just give it more time. Humidity is at 65%, is that too high or too low? I don't see any vents to open and there's a lot of condensation on the lid.
Have you tested the humidity gauge on your incubator? If not, do that after this clutch is done. There's an easy salt test you can do: https://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Hygrometer

65% humidity during the last 3 days of incubation is a tad low; It should be nearer to 80%. But it's not awful. You have condensation because there's no ventilation. Are you quite sure there are no vents? No little plugs that might be covering a hole?

It's a good idea to use a separate thermostat and hygrometer in your incubator, anyway. The ones built into the incubator often don't work correctly. The first time I used my new incubator, I had three (3!) separate thermometers besides the one in the lid. All had slightly different readings, but the one with the MOST different readings was the one in the lid. I quit trusting that one.

Don't worry yet. Give it more time, at least until Tuesday. The "21 Days" incubation period is just an AVERAGE. Some hatch sooner, some later. There are many factors that might influence how quickly they hatch, mostly dependent on their size, and the temperature and humidity they've been exposed to up to this point.

What model incubator are you using?

Have you tested the humidity gauge on your incubator? If not, do that after this clutch is done. There's an easy salt test you can do: https://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Hygrometer

65% humidity during the last 3 days of incubation is a tad low; It should be nearer to 80%. But it's not awful. You have condensation because there's no ventilation. Are you quite sure there are no vents? No little plugs that might be covering a hole?

It's a good idea to use a separate thermostat and hygrometer in your incubator, anyway. The ones built into the incubator often don't work correctly. The first time I used my new incubator, I had three (3!) separate thermometers besides the one in the lid. All had slightly different readings, but the one with the MOST different readings was the one in the lid. I quit trusting that one.

Don't worry yet. Give it more time, at least until Tuesday. The "21 Days" incubation period is just an AVERAGE. Some hatch sooner, some later. There are many factors that might influence how quickly they hatch, mostly dependent on their size, and the temperature and humidity they've been exposed to up to this point.
We've searched the incubator all over and didn't see anything and the manual doesn't mention any vents. I ordered a set of two thermometer-hygrometer last night, but they won't me here until Wednesday. Thank you for all of your help.

We've searched the incubator all over and didn't see anything and the manual doesn't mention any vents. I ordered a set of two thermometer-hygrometer last night, but they won't me here until Wednesday. Thank you for all of your help.
can you post some pics of the incubator? Maybe I can come up with a quick and easy modification.

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_174952165.jpg
    IMG_20230219_174952165.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230219_175015664.jpg
    IMG_20230219_175015664.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230219_174939123.jpg
    IMG_20230219_174939123.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom