First time incubating

ih66series

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Altoona, PA
I have never incubated eggs before and was looking for advice. I found a still air incubator at tractor supply. Is the incubator itself all I need? I would rather save the money than buy an egg turner. Any information would be apreciated because I have no idea!

You can just turn the eggs by hand if you want. Forced air incubators are better, but obviously many people success with still air. You need some very accurate thermometers to show you constant humidity and temp. And more than 1 preferably. I found the digital ones to be totally inaccurate up to 10 degrees off. Sticking with old fashioned glass and metal ones. You cannot rely on the incubators measurements either as they may not be measuring the temps from the level of the eggs or can be off if used or older. Other than that, you need a brooder set up - heat lamp and a plastic or bin of some sort. And use your thermometer to keep track. I like the ceramic bulbs as they last forever and do not emit bright light 24/7. They are a bit more expensive though.

Good luck! My first time too with a forced air....so far so good around day 10 now.

Follow the directions given in the bator. I always hand turn my eggs. And get a good thermometer. Use the bator in a draft free room with stable temps.

Back
Top Bottom