First time integrating - is this normal?

Also, don't know if anyone has told you, but they won't become one flock until the pullets start laying. Then they will fully integrate with the older hens. Until they start laying the pullets will be their own sub-flock and not hang out with the older girls. They will roost by themselves at night, and hang out elsewhere during the day, and eat separately as much as they can. They will avoid the big chickens' area, although they'll be around watching them, and testing the waters occasionally by entering their space. So just expect that, and make sure there's at least two food and water stations where you can't see one from the other (to prevent food/water guarding). The pullets may have to eat and drink "in secret" so the big ones don't run them off. If you can make the pullets areas to hide where the big chickens don't fit, that will help also. Mine always liked to squish into the spaces between pallets to get away from the larger/older chickens.
Ok... I needed to hear this. I had no idea, no one told me! THANK YOU! I feel less like I've done something terribly incorrectly now. 😂

All things considered, I think your flock is actually doing well given the facilities you're working with.

By my math 103.5 x 56 / 144 gives about 40 square feet, so that would be sufficient for FOUR chickens.
Yes, for four fully integrated chickens that are docile and accept confinement.
Problem is, integration really needs more space than minimums. More dominant birds require that a lower ranked bird stay away 5-6' to prevent chasing - it's pretty tough for the pullets to do that when the entire length of the run barely exceeds that. If OP can get a 10x10 dog kennel or something and attach it (or even put this coop in it) that would provide to sort of space needed for peace in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom