First Time Laying Hen Owner (on my own)

FaerieChicken

Songster
9 Years
Sep 26, 2013
Central Coast California
Hi, I am Heather. I live in beautiful sunny California. I have a husband, 2 young daughters (6 & 2), 4 dogs, a bearded dragon lizard, and we have just accrued 8 laying hens.
Growing up in a family where we had fresh milk and eggs for breakfast, fresh fried chicken for dinner, and the occasional venison tamale in the late fall, doesn't mean I retained all of that knowledge I probably should have!

I joined this site to get some assistance, ask questions, get advice from people who know so that we can gain some knowledge for ourselves.
I have no clue as to what breed of chickens we have (2 of them lay blue eggs and some lay brown and white), I will get pics posted eventually. I would really appreciate connecting with people in or around the same location as we are in, Atascadero! Again, I have been raised around chickens in childhood, and collected the eggs, and ate them, participated in cleaning up their pens, letting them out in the mornings and calling them in at night, but I don't remember important stuff cant give examples of what I don't know.

If you are interested in just chatting with me or my husband, Richard, shoot us a PM and just put CHICKENS in the subject line. We can then later exchange phone numbers if appropriate. I can send you pictures of our hens and their eggs! I guess I would like to know what to expect, how many can I have that would be reasonable for our family size, since we tend to eat a lot of eggs!

Oh and maybe get some tips on the housing, the home we moved into has the hens, a friend left them to us before moving, and the set up works, but wondering if there is something we can do with it to make it nicer, for us and for them. Tips of what to feed to get the best quality eggs and lower in cholesterol if that is possible! Who knows what else will come to mind in the days, months, years to come! Talk about breeds, for my area and for our needs and environment!

Thank you in advance for all of your input, and don't forget to PM us!

~Heather

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome-byc.gif
You really shouldn't post your email etc. on such a public forum (BYC has over 300,000 members) worldwide. People can contact you by hovering over your user name and then click on the send PM (private message) function. You do not have to exchange emails, phone no. etc. After you read the message(s) you can decide if you want to know them better . But by using the pm you are keeping your address, phone, full name etc. private - until YOU decide to give out that info. Same for the person responding to you.

If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum - you can locate and post on your state thread. You are likely to find people somewhere around your area.

Back
Top Bottom