First time mamma hen

So my partridge rock successfully hatched two little chicks! Yay! Now I’m wondering, how long should I wait until I introduce the little family back in with my other hens?

Right now they have a dog crate and small enclosed area in the storage half of my coop. So they are Neighbors, can see and hear each other right now. But I’m worried that the other hens are going to possibly hurt the chicks? They are just a couple days old right now. It’s my first time with a broody momma, so I just don’t want to mess things up!

Thanks in advance!
I let the mum decide when to introduce the chicks to the rest of the flock.
But, the chickens here free range and this makes an enormous difference. If mum has problems with other hens or roosters she has the room to avoid them and this is such an important factor.
I’ve never had to introduce a mum and new chicks to a confined flock.
aart on the other hand has done it all before, so I would be inclined to consider aart’s advice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

C0309E45-FD2A-4A7A-9A23-B8236E823C7E.jpeg
Just thought I’d update! I’ve been letting all the girls free in the back yard, and let momma decide when she was ready to introduce the chicks. Worked out great!! She was a relatively high ranking hen to start, so they pretty much let her and the babies be! They are about 3 weeks old, and are learning their place already. Now I wait with fingers crossed that they are girls and they’ll get to stay....
Thank you all again for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom