First-time molt - is this normal?

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
My ducks are 18 months old and this is the first time I have seen an obvious molt for my two welsh harlequins. The first one went through the process about a month ago, and her feathers grew back beautifully and she looks better than ever. My second one is losing a lot more feathers, including the down on the sides of her neck. This didn't happen with the first one - is that normal? She also doesn't swim as much as the other ducks now and stands around a lot looking kind of out of it. She's always been my most energetic and inquisitive duck, so this is out of the norm for her. I also noticed a few weeks ago that her one eye looks kind of sleepy, not open wide. I've looked at it and can't see anything wrong with it, she just isn't opening it up all the way. I've been giving rooster booster vitamins in their food, trying to give extra meal worms, kale and peas too. The other thing is that both my welsh pretty much stopped laying eggs a few months ago. I maybe get one here or there, like once a week. My pekins have hardly missed a day laying since they started a year ago. Is this reduction in eggs normal? Would love some feedback.
IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG

Well she's much more low-energy and just stands around a lot more than is normal for her.

My ducks are 18 months old and this is the first time I have seen an obvious molt for my two welsh harlequins. The first one went through the process about a month ago, and her feathers grew back beautifully and she looks better than ever. My second one is losing a lot more feathers, including the down on the sides of her neck. This didn't happen with the first one - is that normal? She also doesn't swim as much as the other ducks now and stands around a lot looking kind of out of it. She's always been my most energetic and inquisitive duck, so this is out of the norm for her. I also noticed a few weeks ago that her one eye looks kind of sleepy, not open wide. I've looked at it and can't see anything wrong with it, she just isn't opening it up all the way. I've been giving rooster booster vitamins in their food, trying to give extra meal worms, kale and peas too. The other thing is that both my welsh pretty much stopped laying eggs a few months ago. I maybe get one here or there, like once a week. My pekins have hardly missed a day laying since they started a year ago. Is this reduction in eggs normal? Would love some feedback. View attachment 2405548View attachment 2405549
Our welshies quit laying in aug and will start again in jan or feb ,we're in Pa they do act a little down when ours molt

Okay, that's reassuring! My welsh began laying initially last year in jan or feb (WA state). I was surprised by that schedule since I thought they wouldn't lay in the coldest months.

Okay, that's reassuring! My welsh began laying initially last year in jan or feb (WA state). I was surprised by that schedule since I thought they wouldn't lay in the coldest months.
Ya their special lol we love our 2 and their well behaved, they come.when called when they free range and will jump in the air for cherry tomatoes

Aw, so sweet - welshies sure are cute! I love my little Mable, she is super curious and not afraid of anything - always ahead of the pack and doing her own thing. Which is why I hate to see her this way. Hopefully she'll be back in business soon! Thanks for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom