First time one of my hens are not walking

Chickalettamama

In the Brooder
May 10, 2023
Hi group! Newbie here. I have this 13 week old chick. Just a few days ago I noticed she was in the coop and not coming out like the rest of the hens. I took her out and noticed she cannot walk. She had a lot feathers missing but I assumed it was from the others pecking at her or molting ? i isolated her from the rest and been watching her and she still isn’t walking. She eats and drinks fine. I am fearing the worse but not giving up on this sweet little lady. Any tips please

Also her and her other chicks are new to the group as of a few weeks ago. I had 3 other older hens I introduced her too.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 73D54D02-ABF0-405A-8D95-0DED2B51048B.jpeg
    73D54D02-ABF0-405A-8D95-0DED2B51048B.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2AB92D33-A553-49A1-80EA-8B97FC370A55.jpeg
    2AB92D33-A553-49A1-80EA-8B97FC370A55.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 11
  • FA7C0A5B-FE16-4698-B6FF-B1233832F37B.jpeg
    FA7C0A5B-FE16-4698-B6FF-B1233832F37B.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 10
Could she be an Easter egged cockerel, instead of a pullet? I was just wondering because of her feather color. Did you get her from a breeder, swap or other person? I would be a little concerned about Mareks disease at this age, although injuries are much more common. If the old hens were picking on this little one, they could have hurt it. Is one leg weak with curled under toes? Do you have a wire dog crate or pen that you could keep the chicken in with it’s own food and water within the flock?That way, it could rest the leg and have some protection from pecking. Place it near food and water, and consider making a chicken sling chair. Those can help if they tolerate them, to get them up to food and water, and rest the leg.

Could she be an Easter egged cockerel, instead of a pullet? I was just wondering because of her feather color. Did you get her from a breeder, swap or other person? I would be a little concerned about Mareks disease at this age, although injuries are much more common. If the old hens were picking on this little one, they could have hurt it. Is one leg weak with curled under toes? Do you have a wire dog crate or pen that you could keep the chicken in with it’s own food and water within the flock?That way, it could rest the leg and have some protection from pecking. Place it near food and water, and consider making a chicken sling chair. Those can help if they tolerate them, to get them up to food and water, and rest the leg.

I was told she was a pullet. I bought her from a near by farm. I also have another Easter egger pullet who is darker in color. Right now I have her isolated from the rest since they were picking at her because she wouldn’t leave the coop she stayed inside a nesting box. Right now I made a chicken sling for her to see so she can rest her legs. Yes, one of her legs are curled . Not all the time. Her legs seem a lot weaker then the rest of the hens I have and she doesn’t look as strong as the others. I’m assuming she was hiding from the rest for a bit and didn’t get to eat as much etc. Does she need to stay within the flock but just gated off? What other symtoms can mareks cause?

Keeping her with the flock, but inside a crate or pen would make it easier to get her back with them later. Nerve injuries to the sciatic nerve in the leg can resemble early signs of Mareks. Paralysis and curled under toes may be seen, the chicken may put weight on the leg but it may feel numb, or they may have problems in both legs or wings. The 4 types of Mareks symptoms include nerve paralysis, tumors on the skin, or in the organs, and changes in the eyes. They may lie down with one leg forward and one backward, use wings to help them walk or get around, and symptoms in every bird can be different. Hopefully, it is an injury or other issue. Giving some human B complex vitamins 1/2 tablet daily in food would be something to try for a couple of weeks. If I would lose her, I would probably want to send her in for a necropsy by the state vet, just to rule out Mareks. Here is some reading about Mareks disease:
https://extension.unh.edu/sites/default/files/migrated_unmanaged_files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Hi just an update. I bought the nutri drench for poultry and she was eating and drinking after I gave it to her. But she still isn’t walking . I did find out I had 2 roosters in my flock . I had to return them back to the farm because in my town we aren’t allowed to have roosters. But I’m starting to think maybe this one is a rooster too? My other Easter egger that is a hen looks very different .

Back
Top Bottom