First time outdoor brooder... am I forgetting anything ?

I have almost the exact setup - I don't have a cover on my brooder, but I have shoved a branch across the crate so my chicks like to perch there and haven't gotten on the brooder at all. It also helps that I currently leave the crate door open during the day so they wander around my coop - way more interesting than perching on the plate!

I'm moving my 5 chicks outside tomorrow. They range in age from 1-2 weeks old. Currently they are in a cardboard condominium in my house and have a brooder plate. Since this is my first time outdoor brooding, I wanted to run my set up by those more expierienced than me to double (okay, it's quadruple) check that I haven't overlooked anything.

The chicks will be in a large metal dog crate. The crate will be kept inside the coop with the other chickens. The coop is well ventilated and does a great job of protecting from the elements.
51ISmwOwUeL._AC_SX466_.jpg

The bottom half of the crate is going to be wrapped with 1/4" thick coated hardware cloth so the chicks can't get out through the bars. The crate doors will remain closed for now. I'm in Maryland, and have a small heater in my coop that keeps the coop about 10 degrees warmer than the outside temps. Right now it's in the 40s and current forecast shows a warming trend for the next week.

I'm inspired by the Mama Heating Pad system I've read so much about here, and want to do something similiar to that but with my brooder plate. I have the Tractor Supply Producer's Pride brooder plate. It doesn't indicate a minimum temp it works at, but I saw a post from someone who has used theirs in 20 degrees.
1672288741097-png.3360946

I use the deep litter method, so I am removing the tray from the bottom of the crate and just filling it in with pine shavings. When I need to clean, I can just pick up the crate and the shavings fall out into the coop (no crouching and crawling into the crate to clean!).

I can't make the brooder into a "cave" so I intend to move the current cardboard condo into the crate - at least at first. This way the brooder is inclosed on 3 1/2 sides but is not covered. This will trap in heat and protect from drafts.

I am going to cover the side of the crate that faces the pop door with Press and Seal to further keep out drafts from that door. I found an aswesome heated small animal nipple water bottle also at TSC that should hang on the crate nicely. (Bringing it indoors tomorrow to let the chicks practice before they go outside). They will also have feed & grit in the crate with them.

I think I've pretty much covered my basis. (I'm glad I am typing this because I just identified a problem with running the extension cord from the heated watere from inside to outside of the coop. I'll have to mull over this overnight. The only thing I have not figured out is how to keep the chicks off the top of the brooder. It says not to cover it with anything or place anything on top. And it doesn't get too hot. I just don't want to keep scraping poop off the surface. of the brooder plate. Anyone have advise for this?

Okay! Did I miss anything? Oh yes, I have more picturses! But they are on my other device, so I'll send them along when I ahve a chance.
Brooder plate cleans up pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom