First time outside

wilhiteranch

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Rocklin
Ok so my girls are 4 weeks old and it's the first sunny day in weeks. so I thought I would let my Girls out to play for a few and they wigged out. Started laying down kinda on their sides with a wing up. And beaks open. Totally stressed out clearly! How do you introduce them to the outside world with out having a heart attack?

UPDATE: The girls are foraging queens. The next day i just put their whole cage outside and let them get used to the different temps, sun and noises. Today they actually got out of the cage and had a field day :0) YAY!!

Can not figure out how to ad pics to a post.

Last edited:
is their coop connected to their run? if so, just open the door and let them go out on their own, my roos were eager, my new pullets are not, so I let them do what they want...they will adjust, don't force it.

Quote:
I actually still have them in the house. I assumed chickens just knew to play on grass naturally. I have their small cage out back now open so if they feel up to it they can get out. If I was to open the cage in the house they would be all over it.

do you have a coop ready for them? Mine started in the coop in their brooder, so they have only known the coop and the attached run...I will let them free range around the ranch in another few weeks when they are bigger....

they will be a bit stressed, they don't really like a lot of change, they will get used to it...pics?

Quote:
No coop yet.. The husband is thinking about how he wants to build it. I am take tons of pics and will post some this evening
big_smile.png

Are you sure they are stressed, or just enjoying the sun? Mine love to lay on their sides on the warm ground and hold a wing out to catch some rays!

Just wait until they start dust-bathing - they look like they are having epileptic seizures!

31698_p10109071.jpg

Quote:
So cute! I cant wait till mine are big. I guess they could have been sun bathing but I didn't want to stress them an was not sure what the signs were.

They aren't stressed out their chilli'n. Sunbathing. Catching some rays. Mine will preen, then yawn, then stretch out a leg and a wing, then flake out in the sun. What a life.

Sometimes chicks just going outside will fall to the ground immediately when they encounter a ray of sunlight, and just flop to their sides with a wing out. That's to catch the rays. Honest.

I agree with everyone else. Don't get me wrong...it still freaks me out, but mine flop down in the run and stretch their legs and wings out, on their side, or sometimes face down, and just chill!
lau.gif
Especially if yours r younger, they will get tired very fast and much easier outside. I think it has something to do with "fresh air."
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
My mom swears fresh air cures all!
hide.gif
When the inside! dogs go out for fresh air they promptly fall oer on the deck and go to sleep! I'm sure ur little ones will be just fine!

Back
Top Bottom