First time questions:

dustin1025

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
Someone offered me a pair of young pigeons. They are cool so far. I understand they reproduce quickly. If you end up with too many birds, then can you just take their eggs? Or will this impact the pigeon? Also they came with a band and bell on the other leg. Is the bell useful to have? They have shelves in their current cage. The male likes perching on that stick for some reason.

Attachments

• E3D08A3A-A50C-4BAF-B177-50FA23C7FB8A.jpeg
    E3D08A3A-A50C-4BAF-B177-50FA23C7FB8A.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 4EEE0384-24B7-410E-89E5-18BA216A5B0C.jpeg
    4EEE0384-24B7-410E-89E5-18BA216A5B0C.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
What do you intend to do with pigeons??
Do you know breed/type they are??
Do you intend to keep inside cage, or have a loft??
Now to your question.. Yes, they reproduce. Usually 2 at a time.
When you get to the point when you no longer want more young squabs, you replace their eggs with plastic ones. The pigeons still sit on them, and abandon after a stretch of time.
Then after a while, they will lay more eggs.
If you just take away their eggs, without replacing with dummy eggs, the pigeon will lay another set in much shorter time period. Like 2 weeks.
Pigeons are not equal to chickens. It take much out of a pigeon to produce eggs. If they keep laying continually, because you keep removing only, their health will go downhill, from wearing out.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

What do you intend to do with pigeons??
Do you know breed/type they are??
Do you intend to keep inside cage, or have a loft??
Now to your question.. Yes, they reproduce. Usually 2 at a time.
When you get to the point when you no longer want more young squabs, you replace their eggs with plastic ones. The pigeons still sit on them, and abandon after a stretch of time.
Then after a while, they will lay more eggs.
If you just take away their eggs, without replacing with dummy eggs, the pigeon will lay another set in much shorter time period. Like 2 weeks.
Pigeons are not equal to chickens. It take much out of a pigeon to produce eggs. If they keep laying continually, because you keep removing only, their health will go downhill, from wearing out.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Yes! I am building a loft now. One is an English Tippler and the other rock Dove or whatever. That was part of my question as I am building the loft. I need to plan for future birds, but I don’t want hundreds. I am hand feeding and handling them on my screened in porch while I build their loft.

Shelves are good perch places. I personally liked having some natural wood branches inside my loft as well. Pigeons are birds, so branches are a natural.
I will tag @backyard pigeons , and he can show you pictures of his lofts, and number of pigeons they can handle. You can get Idea what size you want to build then.
You can go to his profile, and click on IMAGES. There are over 1000 to view.
He is very knowledgeable on anything pigeon. :thumbsup
He is just one of many pigeon keepers that hang out on the pigeon forum.

Shelves are good perch places. I personally liked having some natural wood branches inside my loft as well. Pigeons are birds, so branches are a natural.
I will tag @backyard pigeons , and he can show you pictures of his lofts, and number of pigeons they can handle. You can get Idea what size you want to build then.
You can go to his profile, and click on IMAGES. There are over 1000 to view.
He is very knowledgeable on anything pigeon. :thumbsup
He is just one of many pigeon keepers that hang out on the pigeon forum.
Thank you so much! I really need some inspiration. I thought it would be cool to fly them, but the more I get to know them it makes me nervous. Maybe just around the yard or close by. We have hawks, but ever since I have had geese I have not lost a duck or chicken (2 years).

Last edited:
The tippler is a type of pigeon that you loft fly. They fly high, and for long periods of time. You do not take to a far distance to fly home.
Train them to loft fly only once you have some newborn replacements. Otherwise it may get to be a challenge to get him back.
Do you think the other pigeon is also in same category?

The tippler is a type of pigeon that you loft fly. They fly high, and for long periods of time. You do not take to a far distance to fly home.
Train them to loft fly only once you have some newborn replacements. Otherwise it may get to be a challenge to get him back.
Do you think the other pigeon is also in same category?
Yeah I figured it will take some time. I don’t even know how people know what breed they are? Some of the different ones look identical to me.

Back
Top Bottom