First time raising chickens! Have tons of questions!

I have two Cuckoo Marans one hen and 1 rooster and two Cochin hens. The Cuckoo Maran hen has a pale comb compared to the rooster and then Cochin hens, worried she's sick.

Is there any behavior besides the comb that would make you think she was ill?

There are many things that can cause that, like heat and stress.

Is she at laying age? Hens often don't redden out until they are about ready to lay. If she is already laying, has she gone off laying or is she moulting?

What are you feeding them?

No only thing is that she looks thinner than the others. She isn't laying eggs yet, she's 5 months old. She is moulting a little. I stated her on non medicated adult feed about 3 weeks ago after they finished the chick feed.

She just may be developing a bit slower since she's not ready to lay yet. Sh may redden up in a few weeks. Moulting also can cause paler combs, though she's too young to be doing a heavy moult. Keep an eye out to make sure she's not being bullied out of her fair share of food, but if she isn't lethargic or acting poorly then I wouldn't worry too much.

Welcome to BYC! I don't think there is a specific coop plan needed for a rooster, but you more than likely will need some more hens as they will get overbred. A rooster can take care of 8-10 hens. Good luck to you.

welcome-byc.gif
hens will produce eggs whether you have a rooster or not. If you want "fertile" eggs for hatching then you need a rooster. Usually a rooster can handle 10 hens, too few and they get overused and injured. Do you have enough hens to keep him busy?

Back
Top Bottom