First time raising

mommahen1990

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
North east Maryland
Hi folks!! I'm hoping to learn anything and everything about raising chicks. My mother surprised me with 6 new baby chicks and they just turned a week old yesterday (3/29/17). I have read so far about their bedding in a brooder, their food and water. They're all definitely active, but what I have noticed is that sometimes 1 or 2 of them would poop and it looks really loose? That's the best way I could describe it. I'm willing to listen to any advice because I have definitely grown attached to them and I only want was is best for them. Thank you for taking time to help me out in anyway possible!!

Their poops can be loose a bit during the first few weeks, and can change based on food and water consumption. I wouldn't worry unless you see blood in it. Since poop is both liquid and solid waste at the same time it can vary in how much water it contains.

From what I have read so far is to just change their food and water daily and the bedding every couple of days. I have them on chick starter feed for now but read that after 6 weeks I switch them to grower mash.

I always just feed a starter grower as my brand is a combination. It has 18% protein which is a good amount for all around use. I will usually add a fresh clean clump of sod to my brooder, dirt and grass, when they are about 2 weeks to mess around with, and to get them used to what's in my soil.

I get them out on grass as soon as it is warm enough during the day in a movable temporary pen with a bucket on its side which heats up like a brooder in the sun.

I will feed a bit of scrambled eggs for a treat, which helps tame them, but can make the poop a bit looser. Mine usually won't eat much else until they get older.

At 6-8 weeks they go out to the coop. I go from a starter to an All flock, and I no longer use a layer ration, I just add a separate dish of oyster shells when they start to lay. They than have access to scratch and scraps, as well as grit.

Back
Top Bottom