First time rooster owner!

Waiting until your daughter is older will prevent an attack from a cockerel that's still learning how to be gentlemen . Here's a photo of my 15 week old roosters in training with older hens and one year old pullets.

Attachments

• 20230729_131826.jpg
    20230729_131826.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 20
Thanks all for sharing your knowledge. We have what we thought were 9 girls, but now realize we have two Roosters - our Mystic Onyx, and one of our Mystery Chickens. The MC is definitely larger than the MO, and a bit more aggressive. I noticed his spurs have grown a lot, too. The two of them spar some, but we haven’t seen throw downs (yet).

So now, the question is which of the boys do we rehome? The MO is more mellow, and, well, just gorgeous. What have you all done that you could recommend? Thank you!

I have a roo and kids. My rules are
1. Chickens are livestock, leave them alone
2. Chickens nominally belong to the rooster, leave them alone
3. Even a friendly roo is nothing to mess with, leave it alone.
The roo is very chill and has never given me a problem. I make sure we never give him a reason to and I'm not willing to tolerate any problems out of him.

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge. We have what we thought were 9 girls, but now realize we have two Roosters - our Mystic Onyx, and one of our Mystery Chickens. The MC is definitely larger than the MO, and a bit more aggressive. I noticed his spurs have grown a lot, too. The two of them spar some, but we haven’t seen throw downs (yet).

So now, the question is which of the boys do we rehome? The MO is more mellow, and, well, just gorgeous. What have you all done that you could recommend? Thank you!
I would definitely keep the more mellow boy. That's what I did when I had to choose between 4 roosters I raised and I never regretted that decision. It sounds like he's already a non-dominate rooster which means he will likely accept you more than the feisty one. As for rehoming the other, rehoming roosters is always difficult. However, it can be done! I've rehomed every single rooster I've ever hatched and been unable to keep; 7! I would just start talking to friends first who may be starting a new flock, or have a roosterless flock. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace is another place you could look. There's also usually feed stores and farm auctions around that will resell them for you. Honestly tho, your rooster's chances of finding a home where he isn't eaten increase DRAMATICALLY if he is pretty or unique looking. People who keep their roosters typically only can have one, so they want him to be the prettiest he can be, so he can have pretty babies with their hens. If he's a pretty boy, you'll have a much easier time! Hope this helps

Your child needs her own hen(s) separate from the flock and cockerel if you want her to be able to play with them and chase them. Small children make loud noises and movements that trigger cockerels. Chasing them will definitely put one over the edge.I wouldn't chase my own chickens without watching my back around my own cockerels.They don't have an older rooster to show them whats appropriate and whats not so everythings a threat

Your child needs her own hen(s) separate from the flock and cockerel if you want her to be able to play with them and chase them. Small children make loud noises and movements that trigger cockerels. Chasing them will definitely put one over the edge.I wouldn't chase my own chickens without watching my back around my own cockerels.They don't have an older rooster to show them whats appropriate and whats not so everythings a threat
Those are a lot of good points. If your child could have her own mini flock with just a couple hens that would be ideal. And a small loud child looks like way more of a threat and target than a full adult chasing chickens

Overwhelmingly my experience is that if roosters are treated with respect they give respect

My own kids play outside all the time around my chickens, including a semi-feral rooster and a dozen cockerels, with zero issues whatsoever. However I've taught my children many times the proper way to interact with chickens

There are little old monks in Thailand that raise orphaned tigers. If they can handle that, my kids can handle one 10 pound bird

Overwhelmingly my experience is that if roosters are treated with respect they give respect

My own kids play outside all the time around my chickens, including a semi-feral rooster and a dozen cockerels, with zero issues whatsoever. However I've taught my children many times the proper way to interact with chickens

There are little old monks in Thailand that raise orphaned tigers. If they can handle that, my kids can handle one 10 pound bird
A 2 year old child should never be out in the yard with a 14 week old cockerel while chasing chickens and picking them and gathering eggs with parents who have little experience handling mature roosters much less cockerels as they're unpredictable.

Last edited:
A 2 year old child should never be out in the yard with a 14 month old cockerel while chasing chickens and picking them and gathering eggs with parents who have little experience handling mature roosters much less cockerels as they're unpredictable.
I agree. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Respect for a rooster includes leaving him and his hens alone. Watching, not touching, to best extent possible

People who touch chickens get pecked. It's inevitable

Back
Top Bottom