First time selling on ebay... Advice needed please

teresa-78

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
England
Hiya everyone, I have sold my first batch of eggs on ebay, we have had 100% fertility rate here at home.. I sold a batch of 6 eggs on ebay.. The eggs got to the buyer unharmed.. I have just had a message saying they are not happy as 3/6 eggs fertile and they not happy... and want me to send them 3 more eggs to replace them.. What should I do?? what would you all do?? I dont mind sending more eggs but we all know sending through the postal system is risky.. and I myself have never had 100% good fertility and hatch rate with posted eggs, and expect it... I am happy to get 2 to hatch if sent through the post!!!

I usually include some extra eggs in case something unforeseen happens. The more eggs I ship the more extras I add. When shipping or buying shipped eggs it should be buyer beware. There is really no way you can tell if an egg is fertile or not. The last dozen of shipped eggs I hatched, 4 out of 12 hatched. The hatch before that I got 20 out of 36 eggs that hatched. I know there is a risk and don't expect them all to hatch but I wanted to add some new bloodlines to my flock and I'm an hatch-a-holic.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hiya yeah I added about not being able to guarentee fertility once through the postal system.. I have had varied hatches through the post 4/6, 4/10 But I was happy I at least got some chicks... I was always led to believe that if 50% look good then I am lucky..

Three out of six is a great hatch rate in shipped eggs. Most likely the others did not hatch due to rough handling at the post office. Did they send pictures of the completely undamaged eggs? Most likely not. And even if so then can they 100% guarantee that their brooder was ALWAYS at the correct temp and humidity? That they did not handle the eggs with bare hands that could be dirty or even that they did let the eggs rest for a full twenty four hours? I would take a look at other listings and notice they almost always say that after it leaves your hands it is out of your control.

The only thing you can do is send a couple extra eggs with every shipment.

You are after all sending HATCHING EGGS and NOT guaranteed live CHICKS. Just because an egg never develops does not mean it is not fertile.

Good luck!!

I have never sold eggs but I have bought eggs off ebay and off other BYC'ers. If you included the typical statement about once the eggs leave your possession, you are not responsible for what the PO and the person doing the incubating does, then I would not send more eggs. The reason I say this is that I figure if the eggs were packaged correctly (i.e. made it to me without being broken) then the seller has done their job correctly. I understand that shipping eggs is a gamble and that the boxes they are shipped in can be really man handled. No amount of writing on the box is going to keep the boxes from being "tossed" around. Now, one other thing you might want to consider is if you are trying to build your reputation as a seller on ebay for your eggs. If this is the case, I would check the feedback on your buyer and see what kind of reputation they have. If they seem to be reasonable (not a lot of complaints, don't seem to be trying to get something for nothing, etc.) I would possibly offer to ship them replacement eggs for the cost of shipping. It's like they say, if you have a good experience buying something, you will tell five friends, if you have a terrible experience buying something, you will tell twenty friends. It is your decision, I just wanted to say that IMO if all the eggs arrived in tact, you did your job well as the seller.

I'll second what dsquard said. I just purchased a batch of shipped eggs, and as far as I was concerned, the sellers only job was to package them well enough that they would arrive in one piece. I recieved 21 eggs that were so well packaged, the PO would have had to run over the box with a truck to crush any of them. It's not up to the seller to guarantee hatchability, there are just too many factors involved in the hatching and shipping process. If you get some idiot that thinks it's fun to shake a box marked "fragile", you have no control over that. Or, in my case, if your buyer's incubator spikes to 106 overnight... you have no control over that either. Just make sure you have the disclaimer. After you have packaged those babies up, your job is done. Good luck!

Thankyou everyone.. I myself have brought eggs from ebay and am happy to get at least 1 chick as I know what the risks are... I have never once messaged a seller about eggs not progressing, especially when at least half have developed well.. I have had eggs develope up to day 21 and not hatch... I dont blame the seller for this as it happens.. But then on the other note I dont want to get a bad reputation at the start of my selling.. So I think I may send more if they cover the cost of postage... But on the other hand I feel 3 have developed well so they did not recieve dud eggs (I have had 100% fertility.. but not 100% hatch rate.. It is one of them things) some develop and quit early, some develop up to hatch day and do not hatch)
hmm.png

You forgot one teresa-78, Some people are just never satisfied!

I understand why you might be willing to send them some extra eggs for now and in this case to keep your seller's rating high, but I'd make double sure that you put the disclaimer in your comments to reflect that beyond doing your best to pack them well and insure all all the hens have been covered by your roosters, you aren't responsible for hatch rates and you really can't guarantee any specific hatch rate. Like everyone else has said, there are too many variables.

I also agree with those who said it's easier and cheaper to send some extra eggs with the initial shipment than send more later, and that also leaves people with less to complain about afterwards. It seems like a fair option all things considered, if you can do so at least... maybe a little bit of a pain though, and kinda muddies the water too since if you are charging $x.xx for a dozen then you send 14 or whatever, it's not really $x.xx for a dozen anymore is it? Still, it's a thought, especially if you have some extra eggs at the time. Why not invest them in good will and then at least they get hatched...

Quote:
I agree... I have messaged back saying that they recieved all eggs, intact.. which is all I can do.. I explained again what I put in the listing about postage could effect fertililty.. I said I would replace eggs once I recieve clear ones back, and they cover cost of p+p of replacement eggs being sent to them. Still not heard anything back. Thankyou everyone for your comments I really appreciate it..

I just bought some eggs of ebay and was unsatisfied with one and happy with the other. I got 8 serama eggs from brysonsbantams and were all perfect and he sent one extra. Which I think is perfect. I bought 26 eggs from someone else with the promise of several extra to cover breaks. She sent one extra and in one of the cartons 3 where broke and scrambled and slimed the rest of the eggs. Everything smelled rotten so the whole dozen couldn't be used plus they were caked with paper towel and egg yoke. When I emailed her she said to bad that was the risk. I would have had her send me more and been a loyal customer even if she had offered to give me 3- 5 dollars off. I paid close to $40. She promised extras but only sent one that broke and slimed another container carrying 3. I was very disappointed but only left neutral feed back, because I dont want to be the person that no one wants to sell too.

Also one seller, i didn't win the auction, said that if you got a zero hatch contact her because she wants you to be happy! I thought that was nice, but I don't know how she could prove it. Just that comment made me want to buy from her because she cared if you got at lease a few to hatch!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom