1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

First time Setting eggs under a broody! HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grumpypantsmomma, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Grumpypantsmomma

Grumpypantsmomma Songster

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    I have 2 cochin Gals that have been chasing other girls around until they lay an egg in the nesting box for them to brood. I haven't been getting any fertile eggs from the cochin's themselves because the Roo is not interested, gave up on trying to breed them because he gets nothing but feather.
    1 hen as soon as she see's and egg will immediately go broody on that egg and will not move until after I have taken the egg from under her sometimes I even have to pull her out of the nesting box before she realizes the egg is gone. or i will find her brooding nothing in the nesting box and she still won't move.
    The 2nd hen does the same thing just not a persistent.
    Because they have been stressing out my other girls I took them out of the pen and they are together in their own pen away from the main group. I would like to give them something to do while they are away from the rest of the group and since hen 1 is brooding without any eggs I figured I would try some of my pullet eggs under her. I need suggestions as to how to go about it.

1. do I need to separate the hens before i give them each their own eggs to brood?
    2. do I pop eggs in the bator to check fertility before giving to the hens or just give them ones i have collected fresh from my pullet pen?
    3. how many should I give each of them to start?
    4. How much room do i give each hen? Would a small bunny cage work for them, big enough they can get up eat drink and poo but small enough they aren't to far from there eggs.

Yes i have an incubator on standby if they give up.
    Any other advice would be greatly appreciated, I have had other hens broody before, but none like these gals so I would like to see if they still have their mothering instinct and if so i would rather use a broody then a bator any day.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by