First time silkie owner- anyone help me with what colors they are?

Yes red and buff are two different colors. Your boy looks like a red. Red is not a recognized color in Silkies yet.
He is handsome but he also has a single comb which would be considered a fault in a show.šŸ˜Š
Thank you for explainging that. I have read about single combs but have not seen one, this is all new and fun for me. I appreciate your response :)

Thank you! So from what you can tell these are all normal colors for silkies- sorry but I love any knowledge I can get :)
Your welcome! Happy to help =) I have a silver partridge silkie roo (Kiwi) of my own (along with a lavender satin silkie,Violet, and a black frizzle silkie, Raven). Their wonderful birds but they do tend to be broody even our green queen silkie mix (Twilight) was broody and hatched out 6 guinea keets. Violets been broody twice and hatched out 6 chicks the first time (including Thin Mint my beloved crossbeak chicken in my profile picture) and then more recently 3 guinea keets.

For show quality you especially need to look at their feet they should have five toes on each foot and there should be good spacing between the fourth and fifth toe they should not be fused. They should have correct combs. Usually they are showed by their color, though they usually have separate category for mixed colored birds. Looks like the first few are Partridge in color than there is a red one and a blue one and the last one is also Partridge. Looks like a blue Partridge.
From what I can tell the blue one looks like your best bet for showing. Check the feet and the comb! Good luck with your birds.šŸ˜Š
Thank you very much! They do all have 5 toes that are ā€œnormalā€ and not fused or missing nails. We werenā€™t planning on showing but my daughter fell in love with this Breed and want to try 4-h. Iā€™m going to do a lot more reading on them. But I love hearing from actual breeders/owners of a specific breed as yaā€™ll are a wealth of knowledgešŸ˜Š

Your welcome! Happy to help =) I have a silver partridge silkie roo (Kiwi) of my own (along with a lavender satin silkie,Violet, and a black frizzle silkie, Raven). Their wonderful birds but they do tend to be broody even our green queen silkie mix (Twilight) was broody and hatched out 6 guinea keets. Violets been broody twice and hatched out 6 chicks the first time (including Thin Mint my beloved crossbeak chicken in my profile picture) and then more recently 3 guinea keets.
I have never had a chicken go broody for me- Iā€™m excited to Hopfully not have to incubate and brood chicks inside for a while! Also Thin Mint is precious- how old is she? I wondered if cross beaked birds could live a somewhat normal life or if there wasnā€™t a chance. But I got my answer now, what a tough little bird she must be šŸ˜Š

I have never had a chicken go broody for me- Iā€™m excited to Hopfully not have to incubate and brood chicks inside for a while! Also Thin Mint is precious- how old is she? I wondered if cross beaked birds could live a somewhat normal life or if there wasnā€™t a chance. But I got my answer now, what a tough little bird she must be šŸ˜Š
She's almost 2 years old now! Its going to be her second Christmas <3 Thank you! She acts like a normal chicken and she's actually the lead hen! No other chickens mess with her

Back
Top Bottom