first time silkies laid eggs

Kelly Owl

Chirping
Jul 1, 2020
Massey Ontario Canada
Hello everyone..well to my surprise my girls(the silkies) have started laying..after a month of new ownership they produced 4 egg as of last Thursday..this morning I go and open the coop..they had moved one of the eggs to the other side of the house and laid another in the same place...later when I went to chat with them..there were 2 additional eggs with the first 3..there is now a total of 7 eggs 😀😀 ..yet all the times I go out to chat I never see either of the 2 girls sitting on them. I did see the rooster mate with 1 for sure on Monday..should they be sitting on the eggs? Its been very hot 33-34degrees celcuis(low 90's) spits rain umm maybe here and there so sometimes humidity is high..lots of ventilation in the house and the door is only ever closed at night when they put themselves to bed..should I still hope or will I have stinky eggs in 21 days?
Thanks for any advise.

Personally I’d just collect the eggs and eat them or store them properly for hatching (point down, cool room, turn a few times a day). There’s no guarantee on when they’ll go broody, they’ll do it when they feel the time is right, you can’t force them either, so no point in wasting eggs.

Thank you featheredplanets
at what point should I not eat the eggs..2 have been in there since Tuesday..they are marked though so disposing of them wouldnt be a guessing game.

I’d probably candle them first, make sure they’re clear. They should be fine to eat cooked thoroughly, but if you’re not sure, just scramble them and give them to your chooks.

Back
Top Bottom