First time using an incubator

Stepher33

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2022
Hi! I have a broody little silkie sitting on fertile eggs. She’s tried to hatch a few times now but always ends up with too many eggs. I just purchased an incubator and wanted to know if I can pull some of her eggs and place them directly into the incubator or do I need to bring them to room temperature? Thank you for the help!

Mark the eggs you want her to hatch and check under her daily to remove any that do not belong. It is important to start them at the same time so they will hatch together.

If you put eggs in the incubator it is important that they all start at the same time. Do not add any eggs once they start.

Hi thank you for your reply! She’s got a few under her now, so if I take a couple can they go straight into the incubator? I have the incubator plugged in now.

You can do whatever you wish. If they started incubation at the same time they should hatch pretty close to together. If other hens are adding eggs to the nest so incubation does not start at the same time you will get a staggered hatch, which means they will hatch days apart. That adds a lot of stress to you and usually means you do not get a good hatch.

If you want chicks I'd collect fresh eggs and start them all at the same time. Or mark the eggs under the broody hen and leave them there. Mark them and remove any that don't belong. When you get a broody start all of the new eggs in the incubator at the same time.

If I understand your question, do not let the eggs that have started cool off. Put them straight in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom