first time wanting to incubate some eggs?

When I first started using an incubator (over 60 years ago
old.gif
) I had one incubator an old, round, metal, Sears unit. I would fill it with eggs, incubate, disinfect and start all over again. We're talking a 23 day turn around period in incubation lots. I would collect and save eggs in excess of 2weeks (sometimes as much as the entire incubation period) and consistently had successful hatches. Eggs were stored in an earthen cellar, 65 degrees and relatively high humidity, turned twice daily.

I believe that if eggs are handled properly they can be held far longer than two weeks with good results. Just think how long it may take a hen to produce a clutch of eggs prior to going broody and yet still have 100% hatch rates.

well today is the big day and the baby chicks r chirping and we do not know what to do with them any advice cause they r in my daughters room and she is watching them like a hawk and she hears them chirping and the incubator is moving when ever they chirp what should we do????? thanks Tony/Torrie

Don't open the incubator until they're dry and fluffy. They absorbed the yolk sac before hatch - so they don't have to eat or drink for the next 3 days. Once they're ready to take out, put them in a brooder (which can be as simple as a rubbermaid container with a heat lamp and pine shavings.)

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom