First Time With A Broody Duck, The Eggs Are Due To Hatch Soon and I Have Some Questions

I got all the answers to my questions. Some from the people who answered here, some from my feed store and some from experience so far.
1.) yes she does.
2.) most of the Chickens leave them alone, some are curious about what's going on but as soon as momma hisses they leave. Except for the one mentioned in my question, she has tried multiple times to go after them
I don't know why.
3.) momma duck will give them some special oil thing from herself to them so they don't get soaked, leave the water all the way to the top so it's easy for them to get out. I have a kiddie pool band even with the water up they splash so much the water goes out so I put a brick in and out of the pool as steps.
4.) youngest you should sell is two weeks so the momma gets to be a momma and anywhere from five to ten is a good price.

Good luck with yours! It was a roller coaster with mine, watch out for blue jays, they seem to find the nest before crows. And when they hatch make sure cats can't get them. Had to relocate them to a kennel as a cat was there the day they hatched.

I got all the answers to my questions. Some from the people who answered here, some from my feed store and some from experience so far.
1.) yes she does.
2.) most of the Chickens leave them alone, some are curious about what's going on but as soon as momma hisses they leave. Except for the one mentioned in my question, she has tried multiple times to go after them
I don't know why.
3.) momma duck will give them some special oil thing from herself to them so they don't get soaked, leave the water all the way to the top so it's easy for them to get out. I have a kiddie pool band even with the water up they splash so much the water goes out so I put a brick in and out of the pool as steps.
4.) youngest you should sell is two weeks so the momma gets to be a momma and anywhere from five to ten is a good price.

Good luck with yours! It was a roller coaster with mine, watch out for blue jays, they seem to find the nest before crows. And when they hatch make sure cats can't get them. Had to relocate them to a kennel as a cat was there the day they hatched.

Awesome, Thanks for sharing. I hadn't read about blue jays being a threat, we rarely get crows but there are always blue jays. Their pen is hawk and cat proof, but I'll have to watch the jays!

I didn't know of jays either, until they got a lot of the eggs
hmm.png

Ouch! The pen is chainlink and the clutches are in a dog house, I've been watching and the jays don't challenge my guard drake. When the hatchlings go out it may be a different story, I'll keep an eye out. I'm sorry to hear you lost some eggs, that sucks :(

I have a really protective drake and when ever she would quack bc of them he ran over and chased them. They still got a lot though, hope the jays don't get yours. If you notice they start to put chicken eggs out, that's what I did when the last duck egg they got had a fully formed chicken inside :( and they will go for them when they hatch to. Had to relocate her once they hatched, thankful she didn't abandon them

I've been really careful with the rejected eggs and put them in a hole and bury them, then there is an upside down garbage can on top of the hole so I can add any that don't make it through the hatch and then fill the hole completely. I've been really watching the blue jay behavior since what you said and so far they don't really get that close to the ducks. No birds land in their run and they definitely haven't gotten into the pen that I've seen. Not to say I watch 24x7 but they are right outside my deck and dog run, about 15 feet and the jays are nesting so that may be contributing. I really appreciate the information from your experience. If all goes well I may have some hatchlings this week so I will be extra diligent and prepared to move them. Thank you!

I hope they don't become interested in your duck eggs. You should probably break the eggs just in case they accidentally rolled out or something. One my ducks eggs did and it ended up hatching, glad I had put it back now. You never know though and it's best to be safe than sorry. Again good luck in your eggs and hope all turns out well for you :)

I hope they don't become interested in your duck eggs. You should probably break the eggs just in case they accidentally rolled out or something. One my ducks eggs did and it ended up hatching, glad I had put it back now. You never know though and it's best to be safe than sorry. Again good luck in your eggs and hope all turns out well for you
smile.png

The only eggs I pulled were rotten - candling showed no air cell, dark egg and dark slosh rolling around in the egg like a puddle - can't pay me to break those lol. Clears, just infertile eggs I cracked very tiny and very carefully in case I was totally wrong - I wasn't. Anything I wasn't sure of went back in the nest. The nest box is a dog house with a lip before the opening and a ramp to outside - no amount of shuffling inside would accidentally send an egg outside. They have to expend some effort to get rejected eggs outside.

I'm looking into bird netting and other deterrents to chase off the jays.

Ohh, that's a good nesting area because jays probably wouldn't even go in because they don't want to challenge tight spaces. My duck decided her nest was going to be next to their dog kennel under a rose bush in our flower bed. That's why one rolled out and the jay got some

Back
Top Bottom