first time with chicks!

Sonmezay

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
CA
Hi there, I'm a new member, and this is my first post! I've been reading here for a few weeks, awaiting my chickies. They just came in this morning. I got 5 of the 6 I ordered. I got: 1 Australorps, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and I had ordered 1 Blue Cochin, but they didn't have any for my order this week...how sad, I had really wanted that one. But, in the Spring, we are planning to get a couple Silkies and I'll try to get that one then.

They are very cute!
I have a question, one of the Easter Eggers is going around pecking the other chicks feet and legs, is this normal? A couple times that one grabbed a leg and pulled the chick to the other side of the box! :eek:
I read somewhere the red light stops the pecking, we have a white light on them, should we switch to a red? Or is that a myth?

welcome-byc.gif

You may want to change the light it well help with pecking. Keep an eye on them if one becomes injured remove it immediately as the rest will continue to peck it.

Hello!
frow.gif
Congrats on your new chicks! It is normal for them to peck each other like that. It is a natural instinct. Installing a red light would definitely help with that and no, that is not a myth. It truly does help.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
!!!

Back
Top Bottom