First timer...almost

juliesprowl

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting and I am hoping that I can get some great advice. I recently moved out to a small country house and want to get some (about 6) chickens in the spring (egg layers for now). I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about breeds for a first timer. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on a pure bred, at least until I feel comfortable. Are the chicks that you buy at the Rural King/Big R OK for eggs or are they primarily meat birds? Thanks in advance!

i've never used those stores, we don't have them around here, but most feed stores get in both. Chickens labeled cornish x, or any labeled broiler would be for meat and should be avoided. Some common breeds they may get are sex link (red or black) and these are great, steady layers. Leghorn is another breed that they may have, and these are good layers, but are very flighty and nervous. Other laying breeds i have seen are Rhode Island red (great layer, pretty friendly), Barred rock (also great layer and friendly), and Production red (great layer, nice). I have seen brahma's too, which are beautiful birds, but don't lay as many eggs...they will lay during the winter though. Avoid any labeled bantam, these will be half the size of a layer, and most don't lay too well. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom