First timer.... gets new babies =)

armando

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 25, 2012
Hi good day everyone!
soooo.... I have been here for almost a month...
I usually incubate reptile eggs with my hovabator, but then a guy found out about me and my incubator... soooo... he asked me to incubate his turkey eggs...
I always read a lot before doing this kind of things, so I came here about a month ago, and started to read everything I should know.
Now, Im proud to say that, thanks to all of you, my little guys are all hatching really good..
its day 27, and I already have 15 hatch, out of 20 eggs, so far.
The only thing Im concerned its about feeding and water...
I have half of them out of the incubator so far, and Ive been trying to teach them how to drink, and I have thrown some chicken food around, and some oat meals, but I havent seen them eat so far...
what should I do? ... thanks once again everyone =)
here is a picture of the ones that are already out... they wanted to say hi and thank you!

welcome-byc.gif

Dip their beaks in the water and put more food out, like on a paper plate and dip their beak in that too. They need a bigger water container too. They don't need oatmeal, only feed them whats appropriate for baby turkeys to eat. I don't raise turkeys but that wont be hard to find out what they need to eat.

Are any of them walking yet? There are two in your pic that look like their legs are splayed???? If they can't walk, they can't get to the water and feed. You need to talk to someone else about splayed leg, if that is what seems to be a problem. Or, just type in "splayed leg" in the search at the top of the BYC page.

If they all are walking and peeping, then you just need to dip their heads in the waterer and feed. Sprinkle the feed "for babies only" around the floor and they will eventually eat it. I agree with the other post, you need to get a larger water bowl, maybe a cereal size bowl, but don't fill it totally to the top as you don't want one to fall in and drown. Remember, they don't have to eat for 3 days after birth, but as soon as you get them, introduce them to the water and feed as they will start needing it.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom