first timer...kindergarten class project provided the start of this fun adventure!!!

jk9chicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Just got our first chicks yesterday!!! You can see them all here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/792818/my-first-brood-9-chicks#post_11422796
We are VERY new to this...
A few years ago, my husband would bring home books from the library...books of adorable chickens (yes, adorable). He has wanted them for YEARS...and he knows way more than me I am sure, but we are both still VERY new to the experience.

My son's kindergarten class incubated these sweet chicks.
3 were born..then 6 more (at night)...bummer, we don't know which eggs they came out of (the were labeled with the breds).
I listed the breds I was told on the link above...I don't know what #5 is, from that list.

I found BackYardChickens.com? just searching for information on chickens through bing.

Our other hobbies are gardening, fishing and camping.

We also have a cat, two betta fish and a hamster...

Besides looking at the above link and commenting what you think the breds/gender guesses...I would also like to ask...should I let these one week old chicks out to eat bugs on warm weather days? I can at the least bring some inside for them right? like baby earwings...I would imagine it would be fun to watch them eat them...they are bored I am sure and try playing with the paper in their huge bin (brooder). All they have had is chick starter and water.

Also, how to teach a child to hold a chick (they have small hands). Do you let the legs hang and hold the chest in one hand and cover the wings with the other? or do you have them have the feet on there one hand and the other hand over the wings?

we have a 9, 6 and 4 year old wanting to hold them.

welcome-byc.gif
very young chicks should not be outside till they are fully feathered out. Usually incubated chicks don't get any bugs or stuff for at least the first couple weeks. If they get too many they won't eat the chick starter that is proper nutrition for them. Also if eating bugs they need 'grit" available.

The best way to hold chicks for kids is to sit on the ground and hold them on their lap. Chicks are very fast, very fragile and unpredictable - so subject to falls, and injuries when they decide they don't want to be held. Another thing - chicks(or chickens) should not be held near the face - they are attracted to shiny things and often peck at eyeballs causing injury to humans. Chickens don't have hands so they test everything with their beaks. They will also try to eat any shiny things they come across like, nails, bolts, earrings, rings, red nail polish.

thank you!
good thing I don't normally wear jewery...or nail polish.
my son has seen pictures of kids with chicks on their shoulders and wants his picture taken that way.
I've had to explain that it's not very safe for a chick...they can get scared and jump off and they have little bones that can get hurt if they fall.
I am trying to get the kids to just sit with them and let the chicks come explore them, when they are ready, but the kids have a hard time not holding them/picking them up. We will just have to practice, so we are gentle and not so sporatic (which is hard for my younger kids).
It's like Chirstmas morning right now...waking up to a warm glow of light in the living room.

thanks everyone!
I hope to take weekly pictures of them (as I try to guess their gender and bred...)
We are already getting attached to them.
Some are already chest bumping...at two weeks old! yikes.
My kids are picking their favorites and it's strange but I think the feeling is mutual (the chick they prefer, also seems to prefer them).

Back
Top Bottom