First timer - My birds cheer me up!

skidoo

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Near Sault Ste Marie
Hello everyone,

I've enjoyed browsing this forum for a while now, researching before I got my birds. Big thanks to the people who helped me and others get started. I just discovered the chat room, hope to be in there often (usually mornings, coffee yum)

A few days back I got my birds, 4 Red Sex Link for eggs, and 25 White Rocks (or so they said ha ha.)

I grew up at a small fishing lodge that my parents own in Ontario. The past few years I've been jumping into some new and exiting hobbies. Last year was my first real try at gardening, and it turned out awesome. So last fall, after we closed camp, I got the idea of raising chickens. My friends all think I'm crazy. I lost my dog to old age only a week before I got my birds, so they have been absolutely awesome to have. My dog was my best friend
sad.png
I find myself trotting around the camp in the best mood. But I'll always be disappointed that I'm pursuing these wonderful hobbies without anyone to share it with. I mean, all of my buddies party and play video games, and I find myself getting less attached to them, and a bit lonely. And where the heck are all the ladies that raise chickens? I mean, I don't live anywhere near any agricultural land, but jeeze the ladies in my area are pretty darn mediocre. Oh well, its all good
tongue.png

Gonna post a few pictures, hope it works, haven't done this before....

21122_coop.jpg

I tried to go for the log cabin style on my coop. The sides are recycled cedar lap siding. Size is 7 by 7 with two doors for my birds. Ive seen some really sharp looking coops on BYC by the way, good work!

21122_chicks.jpg

These are my 25 White Rocks. They are in the coop but isolated from the 4 hens. They also have a private door with a side run, fully enclosed from predators. Haven't let them out yet, waiting for decent weather. They all seem healthy and poop a lot. Ha ha.

21122_fresh_air.jpg

Here I am with the new ladies in my life. I look a bit grubby but I was running my sawmill all morning.

21122_morel.jpg

This here is a big fat Morel mushroom that I ate with my first home-raised eggs.

Hope these pics turned out. Look forward to talking to BYC members, sharing photos etc...

Last edited:
That's so cool! Welcome....

Cool mushroom, i have some growing in the backand have NOOO clue what they are..lol
They are yellow and wavey, growing on a log.....

Your chicks and coop look great
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Cute chickie babies and nice coop. Looks like your chickens have a really nice place to call home. I like to think chickens are the new Prozac!
lol.png

Welcome to BYC! Good size morel. Yum:p

LOL chickens as the new prozac!

sorry about your dog but glad the chickens are making you happy-mine do as well they are so fun to watch

nice coop too

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom