first timer needs advice - best incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by irf1983, Jan 31, 2011.

1. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    I want to start hatching my own eggs. Any suggestions for a good all around incubator to handle maybe a dozen eggs at a time? Or some features that I should look for? Tips? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    all that depends, is how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ you wanna spend, but i'll tell how much some incubators are, little giant still air incubator- 44.00, egg turner for this incubator- 44.00, all together is about 90.00, or you could get one that is forced air, it is about 20.00 more, but it will make it a million times better, or if you wanna spend a lil bit more you could get an awesome hovabator, (so ive heard)

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Just my $.02..

If you are going to spend them money, get an incubator that will work! LG's are known as Little Monsters and many on here regret getting one.. I personally got a Hova Bator without turner.. I put a 2x4 under the side to lift it up and switch it every 8 hours to "turn" the eggs.. I wanted the turner at first but then realized I could fit a LOT more eggs without it! Brinsea is another good one from what i have heard...

Goddess [​IMG]

4. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I love my hovabators. Still air. No turner. Nothing fancy and it works. [​IMG]

5. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    well, i recommend building one... for about 60 bucks or so, you can build one... well, i spent 100 bucks, holds 60 eggs, uses two 40W bulbs, turns eggs, holds temps/humidity well, and it would've been 50 bucks, but i scored a ronco temp controller for 50... i have it in a room that fluctuates from 80° down to 45° daily, and keeps the temps steady...

but, you might find a deal somewhere else as well... my friend scored a hovabator with a turner for 40 bucks on craigslist... then got a little fan from a fish store for 15 bucks and that's it... oh, and petco hygrometer... but still... check out craigslist... or build your own..

good luck..

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Brinsea's are pretty good, i have the Mini Advance, but it only has a 7 egg capacity but they sell other baters with more capacities

7. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    If you can build one do that. Skip the lg for your sanity or get one only for an emergency backup or hatcher. Hova with turner is best cheap smallish. We have made a bit of money hatching our own meat birds from breeding our biggest birds for customers. And, kept some great layers as well. Sweet moments in hatching. Have fun.

8. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    my money would by on a hovabayor gensis 1588 with the turner. It truly is a set it and forget it bator. My first hatch in the 1588 was 43 hatched out of 48 . One egg was clear at 10 days so that left 47 eggs. Problem, the turner only holds 42 so I laid the remaining eggs between the rails hoping the eggs would roll. by day 21 43 of the 47 had hatched. All I did was add water every 4 to 5 days. This is truly the Ron Popeil bator set it and forget it. I owned a LG and I owned a 2362 hovabator and I never had as good a hatch as with the Gensis.

9. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

For what you are wanting to spend... I would get one of these with turner right at 102 bucks... From Surehatch.. they have a combo.. It is a Hova-Bator 1602n with a 1610 Universal auto turner.. The wafer thermostat makes it!!! Here is a 1602n in action

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That makes These...

[​IMG]

10. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i am sorry i even recommended the lg, i just figured since you were in the position you were in i didn't wanna recommend something that was over 100.00, in which most all good incubators are, unless you get lucky on ebay. I didn't wanna recommend you building one, but it would be way cheaper and easier than trying to fiddle with the lg, hope you score, and get lucky, making one, if you study on this website on how to make one, you'll be happier in the end

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by