First Timer--No Hatching Action after 36 hours

CardinalChick

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
South Sioux City
This is my first time incubating eggs. I am doing it in my classroom with sixth graders. On Monday (day 20), 4 chicks hatched without problem. I still have 20 eggs in the incubator and nothing has happened. Today is day 22. Are the other eggs a lost cause? Is there a way to tell if they are still viable? I heard that I could float the egg in warm water and see if it moves. Is this an option at this stage of the game? Thanks for your help.

I would wait it out a bit longer. Some people have chicks hatch as late as day 25. Personally, around day 23, I chip away at the air cell end and see if anything is alive....

Wouldn't floating eggs in water drown them? I am still really new to hatching but I thought you shouldn't get them wet or wash them in order to keep it alive...but IDK....

Maybe try to candle the eggs. Try and see if you can see movement.

If it were me, I would just leave them be a few more days and see what happens.

GOOD LUCK!

You can candle them to see if there is movement or try holding them up to your ear to see if you hear cheeping or crunching sounds like the chick is trying to break thru the shell. I just incubated some eggs for the first time and had a chick hatch out on day 24!!! So i say hold on for at least a day or 2 longer
fl.gif

Thanks for the advice...I am still waiting and will probably not do anything until tomorrow (day 23). I think I will then pip open the air cell and have a looksy. The four that did hatch on day 20 are very active and eating and drinking like you wouldn't believe. The students are facinated by the chicks and the whole process. I would encourage more teachers to try incubating eggs in class. It's a great way to share the miracle of life with students and they relate very well.

Without knowing what kind of incubator you are using, I would say to wait until day 25 before doing anything. Temperature variations in the incubator can make your eggs hatch at different times. If you hatched on day 20 it sounds like you had it a little warmer than it should have been. Though it could have been warmer in the center and cooler towards the sides. Right now I am on day 3 of hatching. We started hatching on day 21 and it will probably continue out to day 25... four days of hatching.

Give it time!
Chris

I am using a Brower Standard Top Hatch incubator that was supplied by our local extension office. It has been a nightmare from the start...the auto turner did not work, temperatures were all over the place, etc. I did candle the eggs on day 17 and all were living. I can't believe that 20 out of 24 won't hatch. I am still hopeful they will emerge...just seems strange that the other four hatched and now nothing for almost 48 hours. I have already contacted the extension office and have requested that they can this incubator...I think it is worn out. In the meantime, I'm waiting and praying that they begin pipping...SOON.

The chicken project in my classroom has come to a sad end today. I just finished pipping the air cell on the remaining 20 eggs in the incubator to find no life inside the eggs. So, out of the 32 eggs that I initially set, I have 4 chicks, one who suffering from a sore neck after a student squeezed it yesterday morning.
sad.png
It is disoriented and is having some trouble walking, but it is still eating and drinking. I will be taking the chickens to a farm this evening, where they will join a hatch from a couple weeks ago. Thanks to all for your words of encouragement and I appreciate your advice.

Back
Top Bottom