First-timer Seeks Advice!

Maine_chic

Songster
Jun 20, 2019
Hello all, I would love some input on what to do here. We have 4 eggs under a broody Cochin. One egg hatched out a gorgeous little chick on Day 20, which was this past Thursday. Today is Day 22 and the remaining 3 eggs still have not hatched. Here is my dilemma: Mom, chick and eggs are in her nesting box, NOT a separate space. I have her nesting box blocked off (as best I can) to prevent the other chickens from accessing her however, the little chick will need food and water soon, as tomorrow it will be 3 days old. I would like to move Mom and chick today to a separate space BUT I was hoping that all the chicks would be hatched by now so that I could move them altogether. I check her eggs every few hours but I have NOT taken them out from under her to look for pipping. Also, we did not candle the eggs, except very early on.
So here are my questions:
1. Should I remove the eggs to inspect them? If so, do I need to return them under her EXACTLY as they were (ie "right" side up?)? Or will she fix them so they are positioned properly?
2. Should I do a float test? They aren't THAT late...is it risky?
3. IF the eggs do not hatch BY TONIGHT, should I move Mom, Chick and eggs into the area I have set up for her? I am nervous to do this for fear she wont sit on the eggs any longer if I move her out of her nest box? Is this fear warranted...and do I have any alternatives?
SO--I can think of only one alternative to moving her...section off her area and add food and water for the chick there. This isn't a great option though, because it will be challenging due to the location (it's right next to the door, which I can't block bc its how my girls access their outdoor run)
Any expert advice or input you have will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance! :)

Temporary food and water in the nest box could help, I would candle her remaining eggs to make sure they didn't quit during the incubation. You can make sure to put them back the way you got them, I never have :oops: but I also never had any issues :D I hope they're just late!

Temporary food and water in the nest box could help, I would candle her remaining eggs to make sure they didn't quit during the incubation. You can make sure to put them back the way you got them, I never have :oops: but I also never had any issues :D I hope they're just late!
Hi there, TY for your reply! I have been taking the eggs out and looking for signs of pipping, none seen. I'm not really putting them back in any particular way, I think Mama is moving them around under her a fair amount. I dont think candling them will show me much because I dont have a dark area to go to. I candled them on Day 7 with my iphone light and it was pretty hard to see anything. I will try the float test today because they are now 2 days late. I don't want to give up on them but I would think I would see SOME signs.....although maybe not?!? Never done this before! :idunno
I did set her and her chick up with food and water in a separate area from the flock. The chick needs to be eating and drinking today, and I believe it is already doing so. I would imagine that the mom needs to be up eating and drinking soon too, as its been 3 days since her chick hatched!!! That's a long time without food, drink and a potty break!!!

1. Should I remove the eggs to inspect them? If so, do I need to return them under her EXACTLY as they were (ie "right" side up?)? Or will she fix them so they are positioned properly?

Yep, take them out from under her and candle them to see if the chicks inside are still alive. If they're alive, the egg will be mostly black, but if you gently tap the shell, the chick inside will move, and you'll see a little bit of movement. You may also see an internal pip.

Then if they are alive, just slide them back under her. You don't need them to be in the exact same position or anything like that.

2. Should I do a float test? They aren't THAT late...is it risky?

The float test is useless, in my opinion - it won't tell you anything that candling can't tell you, and I've seen people kill their eggs because a float test 'said' the chicks were dead, but they weren't.

3. IF the eggs do not hatch BY TONIGHT, should I move Mom, Chick and eggs into the area I have set up for her? I am nervous to do this for fear she wont sit on the eggs any longer if I move her out of her nest box? Is this fear warranted...and do I have any alternatives?

Candle the eggs first. If they're still alive, don't move her. Try to put some food and water in with her and the chick, even if it's a tight fit. You don't want to risk moving her and have her leave the eggs, if they are still alive.

If they're not alive, then no reason not to move her and discard the eggs.

Yep, take them out from under her and candle them to see if the chicks inside are still alive. If they're alive, the egg will be mostly black, but if you gently tap the shell, the chick inside will move, and you'll see a little bit of movement. You may also see an internal pip.

Then if they are alive, just slide them back under her. You don't need them to be in the exact same position or anything like that.

The float test is useless, in my opinion - it won't tell you anything that candling can't tell you, and I've seen people kill their eggs because a float test 'said' the chicks were dead, but they weren't.

Candle the eggs first. If they're still alive, don't move her. Try to put some food and water in with her and the chick, even if it's a tight fit. You don't want to risk moving her and have her leave the eggs, if they are still alive.

If they're not alive, then no reason not to move her and discard the eggs.
Thank you!!!!!! Followed your advice and found that the remaining eggs didn’t develop at all, so we took them out and moved her and her chick into a separate area!! She adjusted very well—immediately got up, took a long dust bath and potty break!!! Thank you for your guidance!!!! 🧡

Thank you!!!!!! Followed your advice and found that the remaining eggs didn’t develop at all, so we took them out and moved her and her chick into a separate area!! She adjusted very well—immediately got up, took a long dust bath and potty break!!! Thank you for your guidance!!!! 🧡

You're welcome! Glad to help :)

Back
Top Bottom