First timer--Sound like a good combination....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TracyLK, Apr 15, 2011.

1. TracyLK

TracyLK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    So after reading and researching the different breeds, we are finally ready to get 6 baby chicks ( hopefully all female ). We are ordering them online and we are getting them in June. We are looking for pet hens that are friendly, socialiable, and that will do well with Jerseys summer and winters, but that will also lay eggs (not too many it I just the 2 of us). So here is our possible new family members:

1 Partridge Silkie Bantam
    1 Blue Silkie Bantam
    2 Easter Egger Bantams
    1 Dominique
    1 Buff Orpingtion

Do you think they will get along together and will produce some eggs? Any recommendations on what to change?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It's a good thing it's just the 2 of you. lol I know my silkie eggs are so small my DH could eat a dozen to make up 6 of the RIR's we used to have. [​IMG]

I just hatched Orpingtons on 1/1/11 so I'm hoping to get eggs in a couple of months. They say their a good cold weather bird and they lay good to.

Good luck with your nex family.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    All the EEs, BOs, and Dome I've had have all been great layers. The silkies.... not so much. They're more likely to try and hatch eggs rather than lay them. But they sure are cute and make great pets. I would say the other breeds you selected would lay more than enough eggs for 2 people and they should all be fine living together........though if you get silkies that have large crests, you may have to give them a haircut every once in a while. They don't see well through all of the feathers. Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hiya, and [​IMG]

Your mix looks like it's full of nice birds! A few suggestions I would have is that the Orpingtons might be a higher production layer than you're looking for (they lay about 1 a day), and they tend not to mix with the really tame and mellow types like Cochins (poor cochins wont defend themselves).

If you're looking for something cuddly, Cochins are definitely the way to go! I almost cried when I had to give up my barred cochin last week (it turned into a roo, and I can't keep them). I managed to hold back so I wouldn't look like a crazy-lady though [​IMG].

EEs tend to lay quite a bit as well, but they lay really pretty eggs, so if you end up with too many, you could easily find a co-worker willing to buy them for a couple of bucks.

Welcome to the rewarding world of chickens! Hope I helped at least a little!

5. TracyLK

TracyLK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for the input! I am so excited and have a feeling I will be getting additional chicks after I get my first 6--from what I have read after you get your first set you quickly get more and expand on the coop [​IMG]
    Do Easter Egger Bantams lay a decent amount of eggs or are they like the Silkie Bantams are sit on the eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by