1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first timer with a hen and her chicks so need some help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by superflyer, Mar 17, 2015.

1. superflyer

superflyer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    hi there im a first timer raising chicks with the a hen

dose the hen know when to leave the nest box with her chicks to eat and drink as far as i know she has not left the nest sence they started to hatch and the chick had no food or water so far

thank you for taking the time to look at my post

p.s. have 4 chick so far[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]and more to come i hope [​IMG]

2. premiercoop

premiercoop Just Hatched

Mar 17, 2015
    I would think the hen will come out when she is good and ready. It is all part of her mother instincts. sounds like you are doing good so far. Good luck on getting more eggs. Just pay attention to the eggs and make sure you are using plenty of grit and oyster shells. Little things like that will help the eggs and give the hen the protein she needs.[​IMG]

3. superflyer

superflyer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    will the cicks be ok if i leave them in the coop with mommy if the other hens are picking on the chicks
    sorry all new to this
    i would like them to stay there all because i have more broody hens in the coop

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Some folks leave the mother and chicks in the coop without any problems, and others report losing chicks this way due to attacks on the chicks by other hens. It depends on your flock and setup.

5. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    I have never done the hen/chicks thing but have heard from those in the know that they segregate the mother and chicks from the rest especially if she is a docile mom because she may not stand up for them firmly enough against the others. Sometimes this is done with a dog crate or something like that. If not then moving her down low to a basket made for her and the chicks that is near the water (and having already changed the food over to chick feed since layer feed is not good for the chicks and there is usually no way to keep them out of the layer feed if they are all housed together). So that they can venture to eat and drink easily while still being close to her.
    Sometimes this works by closing them into the coop during the day and keeping the adults out in the run with food and water for both groups till evening when they are more likey to just go to bed and leave the chicks alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by