First timer with broody hen, advice please ** UPDATED with temp question for tonight

I was just about to suggest some hardware cloth over one of those larger boxes on the end. It looks like there's room for a hen to nest on one side and have food and water on the other. If there's room for her to relieve herself in there without soiling things you don't even have to let her out. Broodies only go to the bathroom once a day, I just scoop it out if I have to lock one up. I move my broodies from the nest boxes. I have a sort of broody duplex in my coop. It consists of one medium sized bird cage on the bottom (currently occupied by 2 LF Cochin hens), and 2 boxes on top (each box occupied by an EE, one with chicks) one of those "boxes" is just small wooden crate turned on its side with a strip of hardware cloth at the bottom of the opening to keep in eggs and chicks. Anyway, when I move the hens, I keep them locked inside on the nest for a whole day. Usually, when I open the door for them the next day they run out to go poo, eat, drink and either a) are my good broodies and go right back to their eggs, in which case I just leave the door off so they can come and go as needed or b) they try to go back to their original nest. In that case I grab them up, put them back on the approved nest and shut the door until the next day. And then I repeat that until they go back to the right nest on their own. They usually figure it out pretty quickly, I mostly think it's because they loathe me touching them. If I can't get the hen to sit where I want her to, she isn't allowed to sit but I've only had a couple of stubborn ones. Good luck! Happy hatching!!!

Hi chickenworld,

Broody hens are better if they can sit on their eggs without the others trying to get in with her. It can lead to broken eggs, cold eggs etc. if possible move her to a quiet spot where the others can't get in with her. Might be obvious, but don't forget to give her food/water supply of her own too!

Broody hens are much easier than incubators :/

Hi chickenworld,

Broody hens are better if they can sit on their eggs without the others trying to get in with her. It can lead to broken eggs, cold eggs etc. if possible move her to a quiet spot where the others can't get in with her. Might be obvious, but don't forget to give her food/water supply of her own too!

Broody hens are much easier than incubators :/[/quo

Hi folks,

I'm also a first-time hatcher, as is my broody hen. She is doing a great job with some ebay eggs. For a plethora of reasons, we let her incubate in her normal coop: the nest has a wire-mesh bottom on it, and it is raised about 2 feet off the ground -- covered in hay of course... MY QUESTION: will the air circulation underneath the eggs kill our chicks? I woke up last night in a panic, wondering if they would be cold on one side, and worrying we may be too late to move them to a solid-bottom, lined nest!! Eeek. What do you all think? Am I a peep-killer??

Thanks,
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom