First timer

Hi Aflock! :welcome Hope you enjoy the forum! There's lots to learn!
Thank you!
Welcome from way far away Alaska! Nice introduction!
Thank you! We always wanted Alaska as a duty station!
Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. [COLOR=454545]You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - [COLOR=E4AF0A]https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]All the best[/COLOR] [COLOR=454545]CT[/COLOR]
Thank you, I will.
Hey everyone, I have just gotten some chicks and they are the most darling!! I'm building a coop for them and I was wonder what are my options for disposing of the poop? Can I bag it up and throw it away like trash or do I need a special container. I know I can keep it to get manure, I'm just curious of what my options are.
We are composting ours.
:welcome Sounds like you need more animals! Get two horses, maybe four pygmy goats, and a few mini cows!!
Yes! Nubians or Nigerian Dwarfs will probably be next. The husband is still protesting the costs of miniature cows, but I'm wearing him down ;)
and I'm thinking you need a pair of emus - :yesss: Don't mind us, we are all great enablers at BYC, have all the birds you want - we don't mind. Chickens are the gateway to other animals like goats, sheep, geese, peafowl, etc. But, PLEASE keep an eye on the dogs. As a greeter, I read many tales of new members having their chicks/chickens wiped out by their own dog/cat etc. You never hear of chickens killing a dog. But, they die very easily.
So far the younger dogs are doing well, but I don't think we will ever be able to let the older two out with the flock. I love my dogs, but I just don't trust them right now.
G’Day from down under Aflock :frow Welcome! As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best. I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home video come out ;)
Here you go! ;) Training with some of our flock and our pyrenees.
One of the dogs that won't be allowed around the chickens...
I had to... duck, duck, goose!
Bath time

Last edited:
If you aren't sure about your pets getting along with the flock, I suggest doing a meeting right away.
I let the dog (who is nervous around all other animals, but mothers the flock) interact with a chick right away. Before I got attached to the chicks, and before he got too excited.
Imo, when a pet (potential predator) is forced to keep a distance, it increases their excitement/anxiety. So when they finally get to it, they are unable to remain in control. It's no different than a starving man at a buffet. Or even shopping while hungry.

If you aren't sure about your pets getting along with the flock, I suggest doing a meeting right away.
I let the dog (who is nervous around all other animals, but mothers the flock) interact with a chick right away. Before I got attached to the chicks, and before he got too excited.
Imo, when a pet (potential predator) is forced to keep a distance, it increases their excitement/anxiety. So when they finally get to it, they are unable to remain in control. It's no different than a starving man at a buffet. Or even shopping while hungry.

We have let all the dogs interact with the flock. The older two know "leave it", but I don't trust them off leash or unattended.

Back
Top Bottom