First try with my homemade incubator questions before I start. Pic.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Spitman, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    First Try, what should I look for on humidity % ? Also eggs point up or point down? my bator works awesome temp stays between 99.6-99.7 only 1 tenth of a degree swing awesome A!!. Any other advise would be great I'm totally new to chickens and incubating, But I think my bator will make up for my lack of wisdom LOL. I read somewhere that the chick would benifit from letting the heat drop once a day??? to replicate the hen taking a few min to eat and use the rest room, dose anyone do that?? and if so how long and to what degree do you let it fall (the Temp) ? And what about candling the eggs , that seems risky to take them out and check them is that safe, how much time can they be out ?Sorry if these Questions seem stupid I just dont want to screw up. Thanks for any and all help. Just click on image to inlarge. [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

pointy end down.

40% 1-18 an 65% the last 3 is a good place to start but here read this on humidity an ventilation. http://cmfarm.us/ventilation.html

I
    think the needing to drop in temp is malarkey. But they can handle getting cold for over 24 hours so candling is fine.

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    my first time useing my homemade bator i had to turn my eggs by hand 2 times a day & that ment opening it up twice a day to do that & still hatched 13 out of 15, i just had it open long enough to turn them.

4. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:Same here,.. I still hand turn 3 times per day with my little home made incubator,.. it is tedious but it hatches ...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by