First week in the brooder

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by willowbranchfarm, Oct 4, 2011.

1. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I just got some baby chicks and they are so sweet. They are black australorps, silver laced wyandotte, and buff orpington. There first week in the brooder has been great they are all healthy and none died in shipping. I will be posting up dates on them every day or so. I have a question if any one will give some answer's. My chicks temp. say's it's like 94 but they lay outside of the heat all snuggled up together. When we raise the heat lamp so it's not so hot they still sleep farther away from the heat. So they act like there not cold or hot but I just didn't know if this is normal. Thanks.

Willow Branch Farm

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, willowbranchfarms and [​IMG]. Those are some beautiful birds you have there - best of luck!! [​IMG]

3. Nmarine1057

Nmarine1057 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    [​IMG] from MS glad you joined and I can't wait to see pictures of your little ones!!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Normal is for them to be all over at different times, sometimes under the heat and sometimes much further away. I keep only one area of my brooder heated and let the rest cool off as it will, maybe 30 degrees or more under the recommended temperatures. They play all over and come back to the heat when they need to. This way I don't have to worry about keeping the entire brooder the perfect temperature. Let them find their own comfort zone.

To me, it sounds like it is still too warm. You might try raising it a little more or maybe use a lower wattage bulb. Or if you can, move it to a corner so the brooder has a variety of temperatures. And don't stress over the exact temperature. Let them tell you where they are comfortable instead of relying on a theory.

Good luck!

5. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Texas

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Best of luck with the new chicks!

[​IMG]

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your chicks and good luck [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! Glad you joined! [​IMG]

10. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by