First week laying and acting weird

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GoChick, Jan 19, 2011.

1. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    One of my pullets just started laying. I feed them layers feed, have oyster shells available all the time, treats are mostly BOSS but sometimes bread, yogurt, and leftovers.
    They free-range most of the time, so they do have access to greens. However, the pullet that just started to lay (a Barred Plymouth Rock) has all of a sudden this desperate look on her - when I went to lock their coop, I opened the door to make sure all 6 were inside, and she just jumped out and ran away and dashed to the compost pile, and found some crushed egg shells - and this, after dusk!!! so I guess there is something missing from her diet - maybe more calcium?

So far, the 5 eggs she's layed have beautifull hard shells.

Have you seen this behavior before, when they start laying? What can I do to supplement her diet? As I said, she has free access to oyster shells.

Thanks!!

2. GoldenCometLady

GoldenCometLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Walker, West Virginia
    My chickens prefer egg shell to oyster shell
    It is not a problem I just save them and crush them up
    and feed back in a seperate feeder free choice.
    No prep of the shells are needed.

3. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    thanks - just crushing the shells are easier than having to bake them as I read on some postings here... she'll be getting her shells back today!!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have noticed with my hens that occasionally (not anymore but when they first started laying) there is an egg that has a soft shell or no shell at all. Then the shells are hard and normal after that.

I just call these occurrences "oopses" in the egglaying process. Back to normal tomorrow! [​IMG]

Make sure you make those shells unrecognizable as eggs so they don't start eating their eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by