First winter for Arboc

Rememberthedeer

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
I have a pekin drake named Arboc. I got him as a chick this spring and now that winter is coming I don't know what to do. How well do pekin ducks do in cold climates? I'm afraid that the only shelter I can currently provide for him is a cardboard box, and he steers clear of the doghouse so I don't know what to do for shelter. Does anybody have any ideas for me on how to make a more suitable shelter for my duck? He's the only one I've got so he can't snuggle with any other ducks to keep warm.
Also, do they have to be able to swim in their pond all the time, or would he be fine if I just gave him a bowl of water to drink from until spring comes again?

I have a pekin drake named Arboc. I got him as a chick this spring and now that winter is coming I don't know what to do. How well do pekin ducks do in cold climates? I'm afraid that the only shelter I can currently provide for him is a cardboard box, and he steers clear of the doghouse so I don't know what to do for shelter. Does anybody have any ideas for me on how to make a more suitable shelter for my duck? He's the only one I've got so he can't snuggle with any other ducks to keep warm.
Also, do they have to be able to swim in their pond all the time, or would he be fine if I just gave him a bowl of water to drink from until spring comes again?
Ducks can handle cold weather pretty good as long as they have shelter to get in out of the extremes, where are you and how cold does it get? and as for shelter where does he sleep at night?
A card board box won't stand up to wind and rain and snow and most of all against predators. A dog house with proper ventilation and a door that closes and locks with nice fluffy pine shaving inside would be ideal .

We live in Michigan, you never know what the weather will be like here, one winter we had no snow, then next it was practically below 0' all winter.
During the day he stays in the dog kennel as we let the dog run around outside, but during the night when we need to put the dog, in he goes in a small wired fence right next to the dog kennel. (so that excludes the option of the doghouse) The dog scares away any predators that might come close so I'm not worried about that. But in the small wired pen his only shelter is a cardboard box that's wrapped in plastic. So my situation isn't really the best and I'm trying to think of something creative for his night pen.

We live in Michigan, you never know what the weather will be like here, one winter we had no snow, then next it was practically below 0' all winter.
During the day he stays in the dog kennel as we let the dog run around outside, but during the night when we need to put the dog, in he goes in a small wired fence right next to the dog kennel. (so that excludes the option of the doghouse) The dog scares away any predators that might come close so I'm not worried about that. But in the small wired pen his only shelter is a cardboard box that's wrapped in plastic. So my situation isn't really the best and I'm trying to think of something creative for his night pen.
Do you have any scrap lumber laying around? doesn't have to be anything fancy just something dry and cozy. I don't think a card board box is going to work. for one thing if you get any amount of snow the box will collapse and your duck will be buried. Maybe look on craigslist for some free dog houses. When you brought home your duck you took on the responsibility of caring for him and making him safe and comfy in all kinds of weather.

The cardboard was only supposed to be temporary, and I plan to keep it temporary. I want to find a suitable box house for him before the snow comes in, which is why I started searching rather soon. I have found one sheet of plywood in my garage, it's not enough to make a proper box, but it could possibly cover up the corner that the card board box sits in. The wired pen does have a wooden roof so no snow will come in unless the door is left open. If I can get my hands on more plywood I might be able to make a suitable house for him.

It's a shame we live so far apart our local high school as agriculture Dept. they make little doghouses and students give them away. He will absolutely need a house type of shelter with clean dry bedding. You could take a large tote turn upside down cut hole for a door and pack straw bales around it for insulation not on top could collapse and keep snow off of top as well. Maybe you could find a carpenter with left over scrap wood or maybe you know a co. with shipping crates and or pallets to make a house out of. Ducks still like a swim in winter as long as they don't freeze in water but a bucket/ bowl large enough for them to submerge entire head is a must.

Start asking around you'd be surprised what folks have stashed back, when I said I wanted a goose house I was over whelmed with friends giving me wood and even old windows. So ask family and friends what they may have to donate to the cause. and remember what ever you decide to make for him make sure it has ventilation don't close him up in something with out a way to have fresh air. And I noticed the other day when we were at Lowes that behind their store they have pallets stacked up and people were back there loading them in their truck so ask at Lowes about free pallets.

I had a friend luck up at lowes with a model of house they used as display and gave it to her she uses as a playhouse for 3 kids. So ask around.

Ok, thanks everybody, you were all helpful and I appreciate it a whole lot.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom