First year with Hens in Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rhodies Mom, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Rhodies Mom

Rhodies Mom New Egg

Apr 5, 2017
    Hi, my name is Teresa. I have 4 hens that are a year old. I need help with bulling.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Teresa

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear you are experiencing bullying. What kind of bullying is it that's happening? I see you have posted in the behaviour section where I'm sure you will get lots of help.

Good luck and I hope you can resolve these issues soon :fl

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Teresa, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Here are a couple links that may aid you with your bullying issue: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens
    And https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-guide-to-understanding-the-chicken-pecking-order
    And if you'd like to chat with some local poultry folks, find your state thread in the link below and say howdy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Hope the links help with your issue. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :woot

4. Rhodies Mom

Rhodies Mom New Egg

Apr 5, 2017
    Hi, I have a barred rock that was losing feathers a few months ago. I am a new chicken mom and first instinct was to remove her from the coop. I figured out that she was molting. Since it was December and she was missing so many feathers I kept her in a heated coop. Now I have been trying to reintroduce her and they will not let her out of the coop into the run.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Teresa [​IMG] Welcome!

It sounds like the pecking order has re-established while your hen was away and she is now being viewed as an intruder.

If you search ‘integrating’ in BYC you will see many threads about integrating chicks and new birds into an existing flock.

I use the ‘look no touch’ method in that they can see and talk to each other through a wire divider etc but no touching. This allows them to get to know each other again without anyone getting injured or feathers being pulled etc.

Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the "look but don't touch," method is the kindest, gentlest way

7. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad to have you join us, but so sorry about your problem.

@N F C gave you the link to my article - it was more difficult than I had ever imagined to get my flock to take back the recovered hen but you can do it.

I'm going to your other thread - see you there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by