Fish food and frozen krill for ducks?

MyGooseGrayson

Chirping
May 27, 2022
So I have a very picky Oscar cichlid who often decides she no longer likes the pellets that only come in giant bags. So I have a whole bunch of fish food that she won't touch. Can my ducks have some as treats? It's carnivore fish food, mainly fish meal and then some fillers. I also have some whole frozen krill that the fish often just shreds and spits out (rude) which also seems like something ducks would love. Thoughts?

Personally I would be hesitant to offer the fish pellets. My reason is because they have vitamins/minerals added in amounts and ratios appropriate for fish and not ducks - or even birds.

The krill, being a whole food, seem fine as an occasional treat.

Maybe you can give it away to people with fish. Or compost it to grow delicious vegetables.

I don't see it as a problem, myself. I've been to many places that have koi ponds and the like, and the ducks eat as much of the fish pellets as the fish do.

That is indeed one picky oscar, though! Mine would devour anything, including a crayfish that was as big as he was and he kind of floated sideways for a couple of days until he digested it! LOL!

Personally I would be hesitant to offer the fish pellets. My reason is because they have vitamins/minerals added in amounts and ratios appropriate for fish and not ducks - or even birds.
I would be feeding just a few occasionally as a little treat- definitely not trying to replace their staple food with it!
That is indeed one picky oscar, though! Mine would devour anything, including a crayfish that was as big as he was and he kind of floated sideways for a couple of days until he digested it! LOL!
She certainly is!! I started feeding her live jumbo mealworms and crickets and now nothing else is acceptable… earthworms are good too…

I wouldn't if you eat the eggs or meat of your ducks as both the food and krill are treated with ethoxyquin, which is a pesticide used as a preservative/antioxidant. Ethoxyquin is made by Monsanto.

Back
Top Bottom