FISH PEOPLE!!!

One of my favorite fish is the Green Severum as babies they are unremarkable in coloration but when they mature they are a very pretty green with a orangish red belly. Have a great personality. they are a south american cichlid. I had 1 pair for about 8 years i was very sad when they died.

I've had freshwater aquariums since I was 13 years old. Currently I have one 55 gallon filled with Endler's Livebearers and Endler's hybrids, feeder, semi-fancy, fancy guppies= babies are "Homemade Beauties", different varieties of homemade"strains" of swordtails, a few weird colored platy hybrids, a bottom feeding catfish, a ghost shrimp, a gold snail, some small brown snails, and alot of plants. My children and my sisters/brothers have asked me a few times before why don't I get some large fish. My reply to them was " I would rather look at alot of pretty little fish that reproduce their own, than to have a few large fish that I would need to keep spending money each week on fish for the large fish to eat". Large fish are, in my eyes, too expensive feed wise, for my taste, and I would get tired of watching the same large fish day in and day out. In my aquarium, the few babies that survive to adulthood are very lucky and very quick not to get eaten by any of the adults, then I cull all baby males that aren't the prettiest of the bunch, and I keep all baby females that also survive not being eaten. I've had neighbors, co-workers, my boss, friends, family, and my children's friends all tell me I've got guppies, swordtails, and platies that are way prettier than the ones they see for sale as "Fancy" in the pet stores. Some people also tell me that I should sell my babies for money, then I ask them how much, 10 cents a dozen? I have to let them know that my fish would only make it to the feeder tanks, because I'm not a big time breeder of "Fancy" or "Purebred" fish. I do enjoy my small fish very much, knowing that I probably have "one of a kind" strains in my aquarium.

Quote:
Have you ever asked? my dad and I had guppies when younger, We keept the fancy tailed ones, and when we had an abbundance of them traded them at fish store, never got money but would get store credit, and it helped buy the next can of Ruby Tetra, for color. Been years since then and it was a Mom and Pop type store, but you could always ask. Like yours ours always looked better than those the store had.

Quote:
Have you ever asked? my dad and I had guppies when younger, We keept the fancy tailed ones, and when we had an abbundance of them traded them at fish store, never got money but would get store credit, and it helped buy the next can of Ruby Tetra, for color. Been years since then and it was a Mom and Pop type store, but you could always ask. Like yours ours always looked better than those the store had.

Marlinchaser, thanks for the tip. I never thought of that. I'll try that. That would beat tossing them down the toilet like I've been doing.
roll.png

I like Bettas crowntails are the best eye catching kind!

My daughter recently killed her Betta fish....she said she feeds him, dumped the whole container of fish food in the mason jars and trying to play with him....alas, he would not survive another hour, poor guy was gasping and his once beautiful blue tail fins were all mangled. So I flushed him down the toliet and boy, my daughter got very very upset and wanted to see if her fish will come back. No sweetie, he is gone now to fish heaven and next time dont play with him like that. They are fragile LOL. Well she still does not understand it yet...shes three years old. Poor girl!

She likes her chickens tho LOL!

Back
Top Bottom