1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fisher attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chick4smiles, Sep 13, 2013.

1. chick4smiles

chick4smiles Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Adirondacks
    We lost three chickens to a fisher last night. It tore fencing right out from the ground in the fully wire-enclosed run...ripped through logs that was securing the wire in the ground, too. We found the entry point and two other spots it tried to use to get in. Relentless.
    We have a solid structure to close the chickens in at night, so this shouldn't happen again...as long as it doesn't come back during the day...fingers crossed.

That said...has anybody had any success trapping a fisher? What type of trap did you use? What did you use for bait?

I've seen (and heard...creepy!) this guy/gal...just want to take it far far away from my little house in the woods...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. asparks1166

asparks1166 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    My mom is having the same problem right now....and it's during the day! It fatally injured a young Tom turkey, took 3 guineas, maimed 3 ducks, and a chicken is missing....the problem is it seems to keep coming back. I've read that these guys are protected....is that true? Do you really have to call the game commission?

3. DenverDawg

DenverDawg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Carnation, WA
    Yes Fishers are protected but by calling Dept. of Fish & Wildlife (your state may call it different) they can normally set you up with the trap and then come pick it up for a release when full. Sometimes they will allow you to eliminate the animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by