fisher cat

dreamrequest,

Chicken wire is pretty useless for coons and I suspect Fishers too. They can pull that stuff right off, or bend /chew a hole right through it! You are better off with welded wire, or better yet, hardware cloth with 1/2"x1/2" holes. Don't know about the Rubbermaid coop either. Does it have a metal or wooden floor? You might consider getting some electric fencing to add to the bottom and top of your run, strategically placed, that will stop them.

Quote:
The fisher isn't going to fit through a chain link fence but a weasel and other predators can.

I've seen a fisher during daylight once, they are like any animal hunting for food, if they are really hungry (or have young to feed) it will not matter what the clock says.

Also a sick animal that normally prowls after dark will venture out during the day.

the only way to make a pen as predator proof as possible is with hot wire if not then the animal / predater has all the time in the world to sit and find any weakness in the pen I have found that with my wire the first few nites you hear coons screamin and every other animal as they find that wire may have to do with the fact I coat tin foil squares with peanut butter to attract wet noses to the wire... After that I usually see no pests Ive left a trap out a few times a month and short of my barn cat never caught a thing...

I thought i was the only one to catch a box turtle in the live trap! They must be able to smell cat food...sorry you have fisher's but I'm SO glad we dont have any little weasels or whatever in FL, I have often wondered why they dont live here too.

Hate to be a kill-joy here, but I believe in Mass. fishers are protected. When I had one living in my barn a couple years ago Mass Wildlife said I could not trap, harass, or kill the animal. I watched her leave the barn every night hunting for whatever she could find. When she finally moved on and we were cleaning the barn DH found a whole cache of bones. Disgusting creatures. They don't like humans and will avoid any kind of activity. The more we got active in the barn, the more she hated it and that's why she moved on. I was told by Mass WL to be careful of my small dogs, that they are vicious enough and bold enough to take the dog off a leash with me standing right there.

Personally, I would quietly SSS. Just sayin'............

I think if Mass Wildlife is so concerned for "their" animal, then "they" need to take steps to remove it to safety, PLUS pay you for any damage their little darling did to your livestock, barn, or pets!

I second that! I actually got a lecture last year from her about a raccoon who killed one of my hens. She proceeded to tell me that I cannot eliminate all predators that are a problem to me. Really??!?? Except for fishers and hawks, I think I can. Or at least I can if I don't mention it to anyone
wink.png

There is in fact a season in which you may take fisher, they are a regulated species.

You can verify what I'm saying by visiting the Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game at http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_trapping.htm .

I haven't looked at the Massachusetts Statutes in regards to predation of domestic animals, frequently that is another legal means that allows you to take an animal attempting to harm your animals. Sometimes you need to request a special permit, sometimes you don't. It all depends upon the state.

Back
Top Bottom