Five little Cochins ( bantams) but hens or roo's?

San

Songster
12 Years
Mar 22, 2007
Appelscha, The Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
So they where born on the 10 th of april. However I'm having trouble to find out who's a boy and who's a girl. Anyone that can help me with it?

Is it the comb or the wattles? Feathers of legs what to look out for?

So they where born on the 10 th of april. However I'm having trouble to find out who's a boy and who's a girl. Anyone that can help me with it?

Is it the comb or the wattles? Feathers of legs what to look out for?

I have no idea about the gender of your chicks, but I just wanted to say how adorable they are!

Pic number 5 is a roo, rest are little girlies. You can see the red in the comb and wattle on that one (the boys will turn red much sooner), so looks from the pics you have one roo there. Pretty birds, I have two cochins myself, love them!

I'd say keep on eye on the first bird and the third bird (fourth pic) as well. The stance, amount of visible comb, and relatively few feathers would lead me to believe that they might be cockerels too.

actually with few feathers doesn't always mean it is a cockerel there are slow growing females my friend had a 3 week old chick was a female but only had little wing feathers and a 3 week old cockerel was feathered in so it doesn't always mean they are a cockerels but in my opinion the first pic i think might be a cockerel is the first and the second pic the same chick ?? then the 5 chicks looks sorta cockerel but at this age its a little harder to tell if their pure and made for it you can wing sex them or leg sex them or vent sex them only recommended if you know how to vent sex because vent sexing can hurt them ... hopefully my little info helps out with something

They look very much the same nr 1 and 2 but it's not the same chicken.
They are pure but I have no idea about wing/leg or vent sexing.

When they are 20 weeks old we would know for sure but in the mean time there's a wayto learn how to look an genders...

Harumph, I assumed it was the same bird. In that case, I'd keep an eye on the birds in pics one, two, and four.

They look very much the same nr 1 and 2 but it's not the same chicken.
They are pure but I have no idea about wing/leg or vent sexing.

When they are 20 weeks old we would know for sure but in the mean time there's a wayto learn how to look an genders...
wing sexing is when their day olds and leg sexing is if the legs are really thick and the toes are like short and chubby but vent sexing i wouldn't do it ... but they are really cute

Back
Top Bottom