Five toe Genetics question- Favaucana

thetaylorranch

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2023
Hey there!

I am working on breeding Favaucana (Ameraucana x Salmon Faverolle)

Previously I have used a Salmon Faverolle Rooster over Ameraucana hens but this year am experimenting with a Chocolate mottled Ameraucana rooster over Salmon Faverolle hens as well a Favaucana

I had a mixed bag in my incubator but threw in a few Salmon Faverolle and Favaucana eggs. I have no other breeds with feathered legs.

Trying to decipher chicks. If there is a five toed bird in the mix are offspring guaranteed to have five toes? I was hoping to use this as a deciphering technique. All of my chicks last year had five toes using the SF roo. Wondering if it changes if the roo has four toes.

Picture of the chicks and parents I’m wondering about. The first is obviously a Favaucana (light chick) and the second has chocolate mottled colouring and feathered legs but only four toes!

If anyone can help me with the five toe question that would be amazing! Are chicks guaranteed to have five toes if they have one five toed parent?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8947.jpeg
    IMG_8947.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8944.jpeg
    IMG_8944.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8943.jpeg
    IMG_8943.jpeg
    454.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8942.jpeg
    IMG_8942.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7297.jpeg
    IMG_7297.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4630.jpeg
    IMG_4630.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7318.jpeg
    IMG_7318.jpeg
    667.1 KB · Views: 2
Hey there!

I am working on breeding Favaucana (Ameraucana x Salmon Faverolle)

Previously I have used a Salmon Faverolle Rooster over Ameraucana hens but this year am experimenting with a Chocolate mottled Ameraucana rooster over Salmon Faverolle hens as well a Favaucana

I had a mixed bag in my incubator but threw in a few Salmon Faverolle and Favaucana eggs. I have no other breeds with feathered legs.

Trying to decipher chicks. If there is a five toed bird in the mix are offspring guaranteed to have five toes? I was hoping to use this as a deciphering technique. All of my chicks last year had five toes using the SF roo. Wondering if it changes if the roo has four toes.

Picture of the chicks and parents I’m wondering about. The first is obviously a Favaucana (light chick) and the second has chocolate mottled colouring and feathered legs but only four toes!

If anyone can help me with the five toe question that would be amazing! Are chicks guaranteed to have five toes if they have one five toed parent?

Thank you!
4 toes happens with Silkies too, but still carry the Polydactly gene. They're silent carriers of the trait.

The expression of the fifth toe trait is pretty weird in crosses. Though generally considered a dominant trait and often expressed as such in crosses, sometimes you have cases where a mixed individual has just 4 toes on both feet, and sometimes you even have cases where they instead have five toes on one foot and four on the other. I don't believe there's any sex linking involved, at least none that I'm aware of, there's just a lot of variation in the expression of it.

The expression of the fifth toe trait is pretty weird in crosses. Though generally considered a dominant trait and often expressed as such in crosses, sometimes you have cases where a mixed individual has just 4 toes on both feet, and sometimes you even have cases where they instead have five toes on one foot and four on the other. I don't believe there's any sex linking involved, at least none that I'm aware of, there's just a lot of variation in the expression of it.

^ This.

When we bred some Favaucana the expression of 5 toes was completely random. Several had the 5 on one foot and 4 on the other. I even had one pop up with 6 toes :eek:
It was a bit too weird for us so we quit making the cross, although they were very sweet birds.

Thank you for your help! Would the feathered leg trait be dominant? I have pure ameraucana and favcauna in the same hatch with similar colouring. Would any Favaucana hatch with clean legs?

I've also had a 5 toed son come from 4 toed parents. His uncle however (same 'breed' as the mother) had five toes

Thank you for your help! Would the feathered leg trait be dominant? I have pure ameraucana and favcauna in the same hatch with similar colouring. Would any Favaucana hatch with clean legs?

Feathered legs are polygenic, meaning more than one gene controls the expression of them. In a cross where one parent has feathered legs and the other does not, generally you do get some leg feathering, but less of it than on the feather-legged parent.

On a first generation cross of Faverolles and Ameraucana, I would not expect any of the chicks to be clean-legged.

I've also had a 5 toed son come from 4 toed parents. His uncle however (same 'breed' as the mother) had five toes

Yeah, it happens! I've read about 4-toed individuals popping up out of seemingly pure 5-toed breeds that then go on to have 5-toed offspring of their own. The trait is just really weird about its expression. 🤭

Back
Top Bottom