1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Five toed breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Firedancer87, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Firedancer87

Firedancer87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    NC
    Are there five toed chicken breeds other than the Dorking? If so, do they have grey/slate colored legs? I have this rather oddly colored hen with five toes, grey legs, red ears, small single comb & a reddish/grey penciling all over. She probably weighs between 5-7lbs. Any ideas?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Silkies have 5 toes.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Silkies have five toes and dark skin, you probably have a silkie cross of some sort. Other than silkies, there's the Dorkings which you mention, the Houdan and....hmm. There's surely at least one more but it's escaping me.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Faverolle too (can't spell it)

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Dorking,Faverolle,Silkys (or how ever you spell it) and other pure breds (it's hard to know all breeds) along with cross breds

6. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    In addition to the breeds already noted, Houdans and Sultans also have 5 toes. They are pretty distinguishable from other chickens, though.

7. Firedancer87

Feb 15, 2011
    NC
    Well, she's definately not a silky cross. She is feathered like an EE, minus the beard, but with the body of a Orpington. As I said before in another post, she came from my late grandpa who was an avid rare breed collector. I can't recall ever seeing this coloring in any breed I know of. I would post a pic, but the forum won't let me yet. I'm stumped!

8. Firedancer87

Feb 15, 2011
    NC
    Her coloring is similar to a blue laced red wyandotte, but less bright. The colors are a bit lighter.

9. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote:First generation Silkie crosses, the most likely to retain the five toes and dark shanks, do not have silkied feathers. They would have regular feathers, perhaps like an EE or any other bird.

If indeed a silkie was involved in the cross, the other bird would have to have a single comb, probably larger size.

Do you have a photo? That would be most helpful!

10. Firedancer87

Feb 15, 2011
    NC
    I would love to post a pic, but sadly i haven't been able to figure that one out yet. I'm extremely new to this thing lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by