Five week old chick with swollen breast

Jackiekim

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone here know what is ailing one of my five week old chicks. I noticed it first yesterday that she had a little area by the shoulder/upper breast area) that is bare. Today, while holding her, I noticed that the spot is now much larger and noticeable and that there is a large swelling/lump in the breast area. It feels and looks like there is liquid behind it. I have seen chickens with enlarged crop (from munching too much at once), but this is different. Anyone has any idea what this is?

Thanks in advance.

Jackie

It is probably just a full crop, since they are prominent at this age. As long as it is eating and pooping, I would just check it in the morning to make sure it is smaller. Make sure it is not eating pine shavings. An injury to an air sac can also cause air to be trapped under the skin in the chest.

Thanks. I think it is subcutaneous emphysema. I read about this somewhere else here (I think you even contributed to that thread). I went out and poked it with a needle and it seemed to have helped. I messaged the ball (more like balloon) and it got smaller. Little chick was strangely calm about that. My needle seems too small for it though as I had to do it a few times; the bigger one didn't have a sharp enough tip and I didn't want to hurt her. I hope she survives the injury. Perhaps she hurt herself while I was trying to get hold of her (and the rest) to hold and check them. Everything was coming along so swimmingly until now. This is our second batch of chicken and my husband and I were just commenting about how they are luckier than our first since know a lot more now and have built them a palatial brooder and he even built them a nice perch this weekend.

I'm glad you figured out what it was and how to treat it. How is she doing today? Sometimes the air withdrawal has to be repeated.

She survived the episode, though I'm not sure how it would affect her long term health. I was amazed how calm she was - as if she knew she needed help - and how the prickling didn't seem to hurt her at all. Actually, I'm not sure all that prickling helped - the needle seemed too narrow - but I did hear some sound when I pressed her all over. But she's her and seems ok.

Back
Top Bottom