Fixed Runs: Unhealthy or acceptable?

I just let mine ,both of them, out in the morning and they go back in the coop at nite. My dog guards them and my yard is small.

kh

Hey velo!
welcome-byc.gif

I, too, have fixed runs and had the same runs for 30+ years before moving here to Alabama. Frankly, fixed runs DO require more work. They must be cleaned, raked, limed, kept level. Periodically they require refinishing (I use sand for this). Fences need tightened and wood replaced. I have never had a disease or parasite problem.

BTW I also breed quarter horses and I have always kept my stallions in paddocks. These need upkeep and refreshing as well.

All of this is just part and parcel of keeping any livestock long term. Farming is hard work and requires good management skills.

big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm pretty amused to see Gail Damerow and Andy Lee being criticized as "self-proclaimed experts" or "six birds and a small tractor" or otherwise so woefully lacking in experience
wink.png

But at any rate, it doesn't have to be one way and one way only -- Damerow does not suggest so, and if you sort of read between Andy Lee's lines he doesn't either (although you have to allow for his general um extreme enthusiasm for his ideas
wink.png
)

It is TRUE that chickens are not long-term good for a patch of ground and that a chronically-chickened patch of ground is not the best for the chickens either.

But that doesn't mean you can't DO it. It also doesn't mean that a permanent run is never a good (or even sometimes the best) option.

A large area, roof over some or all of it, gutters and ditches to direct water away from the run, some sort of extra footing, and occasional work like Cynthia describes will give you a better situation than a tiny, dirt-and-mud uncleaned neglected run.

JMHO,

Pat

First of all, I have to compliment the OP for doing some research and for laying out a well-thought-out post on this topic. I'd also like to say kudos for reading critically; too often anymore, people rush to jump on "this" or "that" bandwagon without thinking for themselves. You rock!
wink.png

I'm going to second Year of the Rooster's comment here because I agree with it entirely, then follow it with a few comments of my own.

Quote:
A run will be more of a hard-packed dirt surface and less of a mud pit if it is big enough -- or bigger -- than the outdoor space required for the amount of chickens you have. Some people put sand and gravel in their runs to create a well-drained surface. DE sprinkled in the run will keep the smell down. Additionally, a roof and tarp system will keep the rain and snow in the run to a minimum. Can I say again that there will be less mess if you give your birds enough space?

I think the tractor method has its pros and cons, and the same for the stationary coops, but I wouldn't rule out a stationary coop for health reasons if your plan is to clean it regularly (which it should be!).

Quote:
Also, our run is large enough to not really get too dirty too quickly. My husband is working on an attached second run in which we can rotate the chickens. This way we can give the 1st run a rest and allow some of the grass/weeds/plants to grow back while they are in the second. Then visa versa. But even if we weren't working on a second enclosure...i believe that with proper maintenance and care that it would be fine
smile.png
those people are just out to make a buck

Quote:
By the way, please note that neither Gail Damerow nor Andy Lee, nor honestly anyone else I can offhand recall having read, SAYS that a permanent fixed run spells death.

ALL they're saying is that if you can gracefully avoid it, it's prolly better to.

Which is what you're saying too, Chickenmonk.

wink.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom