Fixing 2 gal heated nipple waterer?

ADKXJ

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2016
Hi all, in need of some expert advice and sort of up against it here - in the middle of a massive snowstorm here in Upstate NY our heated waterer (a Farm Innovators 2 gallon pail deal) crapped out.

I opened it up and there was some water in the heating element area and corrosion on the spot where the cord comes into the base. I'm sort of hoping that drying this out does the trick but any suggestions while I have this inside and open?

I've been hauling water out through 3-4 foot snow drifts each morning for almost a week and it's just now turning a bit warm but won't last for long.

I opened it up and there was some water in the heating element area and corrosion on the spot where the cord comes into the base. I'm sort of hoping that drying this out does the trick but any suggestions while I have this inside and open?
Post pics @ADKXJ ?
I'm doubting it can be fixed, once the wiring is corroded it could be a fire hazard.
Was it outside where it is exposed to rain and snow..... or in coop?

Post pics @ADKXJ ?
I'm doubting it can be fixed, once the wiring is corroded it could be a fire hazard.
Was it outside where it is exposed to rain and snow..... or in coop?
We moved over the summer and I think it was probably exposed to the elements then.

The fire hazard is that the wire may short / spark, is that it?

Coop fires are a real thing. I wouldn't use it. We pour warm water in the nipple bucket a few times each day (if below freezing) and keep it on the south side of the coop for some solar gain. Just order one online. It will be there next week. In the meanwhile, is there anywhere inside the coop you can put the water bucket to keep it warmer? I've learned that items I consider critical (light bulbs for chicks) keep an extra on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom