Fixing males

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rebecca10782, May 9, 2008.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    I have heard it is possible to fix roosters. We just got two babies and the breeder assured us that they were most likely girls but if one turns out to be a boy, I would rather fix him than have to give him away. Does fixing them stop the cock-a-doodle-doos all day long? We live in the suburbs and would probably be in trouble if we end up with a rooster.

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Ok, this is just my opinion, but I would give him away rather than take away his "rooness". I really doubt he would stop crowing, but only because men get fixed and continue to talk [​IMG]

I hope it turns out you have girls and don't have to worry about it.

3. Paegglvr

Paegglvr Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    I believe what your talking about is caponizing (castrating) the bird...

It's a risky procedure. You have to make a cut between the last two ribs to get to the chickens testicles... Even if you're good at it, there is a risk the bird will die.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Search for threads on "caponizing" for more information. It's not like neutering a dog or cat or horse... the, uh, relevant parts are internal, way in near the kidneys, so it is a major operation (generally done w/o anesthetic, eep) with a distinctly less than 100% survival rate. it's generally (possibly ONLY) done to produce a larger fatter bird for the table.

My impression is that capons still crow, but I do not know from personal experience.

Pat

5. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG] he he! Thanks for the laugh!

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Caponizing has not tradtionally been done with anesthesia. As far as I know there is nothing available to do it that way. The bird is simply splayed out in the right way, the proper tools are brought to bear and the surgery quickly done. It takes less than 30 seconds for a skilled practitioner. When it is done, the bird is released to go on its merry way.

Caponisers were once respected men and paid by the bird, making the rounds in a district as they plied their trade. A good one could make a tidy days wage in season. The practice is still very popular in France, Italy and Turkey.

The capon, a male 'sans testicles', is reared like any other meat bird - for that is what he is. He is held separate from the rest of the flock with is fellow capons and essentially mollycoddled. Think Kobe Beef and you get the idea.

The process is not solely intended to fatten the bird, although that is a side benefit. Rather, caponizing eliminates testosterone in the bird and thus fibroid tissue within the musculature never develops. This makes for a tender, soft and succelent flesh at the table.

There was once a subdermal, hormonal application that chemically rendered a cock a capon. Better living through chemistry, I suppose!
    But food purity laws outlawed the practice several decades ago.

The capon is allowed to grow longer than other meat birds, as long as 8 months for the largest ones. In this time he will grow several pounds heavier than a normal cock, reaching 10-12 lbs readily.

A hundred years ago, there was a very brisk trade in capon roasters in the US, notably in the Northeast. They were much in demand and quoted prices were considered "premium" in their day. Today, caponising is an artisan craft and not much practiced. Since the 1960's, the modern Cornish Cross broiler has all but eliminated the capon, and they are sold in only in a few regional markets in this country. Thereis only one commercial concern, Wapsi Produce, Inc, that handles them. See them here: Wapsie Capons

In theory, caponising is very simple. In practice, the surgery is risky for the bird - the death rate is high while the caponiser learns his craft. It isn't for the squemish and those who are inclined to try it should have pretty steely nerves. I don't - I have never done it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, I agree that the risk of surgery is not worth it to the health of the cockeral.

I would wait and see if you aquire one first. Then I would see if he works out ok in the enviornment.
    One can always bribe neighbors with the excellent eggs the hens will provide, allowing the wonderful crowing that I would never be without, to go on in a natural way, that is suppose to be the real world.

Why does a screaming weed eater sound ok, while the natural crow of a rooster sound offensive?

bigzio

8. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Some rooster dont start crowing until they are big enough to put on the dinner table. I would rather be put on a dinner table than caponized!!

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Why does a screaming weed eater sound ok, while the natural crow of a rooster sound offensive?
    Add to this barking dogs, booming woofers pounding out a rap beat or the wail of sirens.

Ill take a rooster any day, capon or not.

10. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I totally agree wwith you elderoo....I thought I'd kill one of my two babies if it turned out male....and he did and I love him to death....and it really is hard to say who is my fav....but it honestly is probably Ese....pronounced essay....who is the best daddy ever....not to mention he only pulls out the feathers he has to in order to mate...I never see him eat he is so happy to share his find....I'm not in it for the eggs...I wanted bug eaters...and males are better hunters and scratch less...and whatever plants they may accidently destroy....I live entirely organically thanks in the most part to them.....when I saw the add for caponizing kits...I thought "oh like sheep" then I saw the "slotted Spoon" and was like what....but they do crow less and I've thought about having my vet do it but she SPECIALIZES in birds...some think cause they cost 2 bucks...who cares....but I see more

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by